Now the scams start

Norman Verona

Ad running on Autotrader. Get a gmail from this "person" asking my best price and is the car OK. I answer in the affirmative and get this in return:

Thank you for getting back to me. Please assure me that it's in good

condition and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay
your asking price and to be honest I am buying this for myself,but the
issue is i am s I am a marine engineer and I am at base right now But
I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my
only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal
anytime. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal,
i will be responsible for all the Paypal fee/charges on this
transaction and if you don't have an account with Paypal, its pretty
easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I
hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that
will come for the pick up once payment clears and they will be
handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon.
Get back to me with your information:

1) Are you the owner?
2) Full Pick up location?
3) is there any other problems with the item not mentioned?
4) PayPal e-mail account for payment?
5) home address?

Thank you.

So, I've just said the car is for sale by cash only, You bring the cash and we go to the bank and theyt pay it into my account and you drive the car away, simples Boris

• Like 1

Could be genuine, it's only your email address he needs. PayPal is secure enough that he'll not be able to access your details.

However... PayPal favours the buyer. So if a few days later he puts in some kind of complaint I believe PayPal will refund him from your account. Not 100% sure on this.

Say his "Mover" could carry the cash and complete the transaction. Also the English used to write the email seems a bit dodgy IMHO and would flag up a warning to me.

Paypal is a 'Scam' in itself.

Agreed

Does add security, but costs a fortune! Even if you "gift" someone it's a fortune.

guest, get wise. It starts like this then it changes to "I'll send you a bankers draught and give you £600 more, can you give the £600 to the transport company."

You then bank the bankers draught, give the transporter £600. You lose the car and the draught bounces about 6 weeks later as it is was a forgery. 

Calm down...

If someone said "I'll give you a cheque/bankers draught" I'd then get cagey and decline. But I did give both good and bad possibilities. He could be genuine... However...

Just say you have had countless PayPal issues, we all know about them on here, and you refuse to use it. That would then move to bankers draught phase of his scam and then ring alarm bells.

Every cheque I have ever been given, except as a gift in a card, has bounced. Which then costs me an admin fee and I get no money. So accepting cheques stopped a long time ago. Usually "mates" buying stuff, by the time I come back to them whatever they bought had been wrecked. But fortunately being in house and military I clean out their room as compensation, with the support of everyone else in the block.

Play him at his game... See if he offer's a bankers draught or cheque.

No point playing games. Cash only has always been my approach when selling cars.

I can accept a PayPal payment.

This is a well known scam. He/she hasn't yet said a bankers draught will be sent. It will change subtly. Would you buy a car unseen?

I don't need to calm down I'm not getting excited. 

And, I've got far better things to do than correspond with a scammer.

That is a very good point.

It's best to avoid a scam full stop. Trust your instincts!

As for PayPal, I just meant gives you an excuse to tell the buyer/scammer you want cash.

Norman

Its a scam, i read an article about a similar case, but instead of using paypal, i think it was Western Union. I cant remember the details as such, but will try and find a link for you. The part where the buyer introduces the 'bank transfer' or in this case a 'bankers draft' is the ploy to add attraction to the offer.

As Bhouse said, cash only.

I know someone who advertised their 1 year old Range Rover with a full spec. He got an enquiry from Spain. The full offer was made and he was asked to accept a bankers draught for the car plus £6,000 for the shipping agent who would collect the car and ship it to him in Spain. The draught arrived in a few days and he banked it. Waited 4 days for it to clear and gave the shipping agents driver £6,000 in cash as requested and waved goodbye to his car.

And to his £6,000.

Six weeks later the bank inform him the draught was a forgery and the money has been debited from his account.

So, he lost a £85,000 Range Rover and £6,000 on top,

I know someone who advertised their 1 year old Range Rover with a full spec. He got an enquiry from Spain. The full offer was made and he was asked to accept a bankers draught for the car plus £6,000 for the shipping agent who would collect the car and ship it to him in Spain. The draught arrived in a few days and he banked it. Waited 4 days for it to clear and gave the shipping agents driver £6,000 in cash as requested and waved goodbye to his car.

And to his £6,000.

Six weeks later the bank inform him the draught was a forgery and the money has been debited from his account.

So, he lost a £85,000 Range Rover and £6,000 on top,

Wow, there are a lot of those stories going round. But you are the first person who actually knows someone it happened to, really bad news. How come the banks can't sort these out quicker ?

Nick, that's genuine. Not only do I know the chap but he phoned me after the event to seek advice too see if he could get his money back.

To make matters worse the draught was on an African branch of Barclays. The six weeks delay was in postage delays sending the cheque to the issuing branch, them checking it (check the cheque) and posting it back.

In his case it was pure greed, he thought he'd got the deal of the century as he'd priced it at dealer retail expecting an offer below the advertised price.

Most scams work on peoples greed. I've only been conned once, for £50 from a stolen cheque book. It took the conman all day to break me down, he kept popping back asking if I could cash a cheque. He had done several shops in Tottenham Court Rd, and the police told me afterwards that he'd only been out of prison for 2 weeks. He'd broken into a house in Surrey, stolen a cheque book and bank card and went on a spree. He was caught as soon as the cheques started bouncing.

But, having been caught once I will not be caught again.

As you say Norman, greed does seem to come into these things a lot, but not all the time.

Anyway, back to your current scam. your mission, should you chose to accept it,  :d  :d  :d  is to see if you can get some money out of the scammers. There are some great stories on the interweb about people who have done so  :yes:  :yes:

better things to do.

I once responded to a Nigerian 49 scam. They were offering to send me $2,000,000 to clear through my bank and I could keep 25%. They wanted to send their children to the UK for education.

I offered to have a word with my friend, Jack Straw, the Home Secretary as he would get them visas and a place at Oxford for only £5,000.

After a few emails to and fro they must have realised I was playing at their game and I never heard any more.