gas boiler

pete g

need to replace my central  heating gas boiler .

i  have a potterton  profile balanced flue fitted in 1995.

looking for a straight replacement to fit in same area.

looking for recommendation's on a good reliable unit.

this has been a good unit and easy to work on  never had to call any one out in all the time I have had it .

all ways managed to repair [only failed a couple of times in its life]

looking maybe to fit myself and get a gas fitter to commission.

whats the best for the price out there which will fit

regards pete

Hi Pete,

I fit Vaillant boilers http://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/products/domestic-boilers/ecotec-plus-system/

They are not a cheap boiler but don't give much trouble and are 90% efficient.

If you can get a Vaillant approved installer to commission, you'll get a 5 year warranty.

If you look at the ecoTec plus range they have the latest technology which monitors the quality of gas coming into it, and it adjusts the air gas ratio accordingly to get the best possible efficiency and cleanest burn possible. It's a clever bit of kit, plus Vaillant's back up (should you need it) is very good.

Cheers Rich.

Pete, Out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of the Profile? I moved house six months ago and the new place has a Profile which seems okay, but forewarned is forearmed, as they say. :)

Pete, Out of curiosity, why are you getting rid of the Profile? I moved house six months ago and the new place has a Profile which seems okay, but forewarned is forearmed, as they say. :)

You shouldn't have any undue problems with yours, but the average live expectancy for a modern boiler is between 10 to 20 years (all depends on use and servicing etc). Only common issue I have come across with them is dry joints and dirty relays on the PCB's (£165 replacement).

You shouldn't have any undue problems with yours, but the average live expectancy for a modern boiler is between 10 to 20 years (all depends on use and servicing etc). Only common issue I have come across with them is dry joints and dirty relays on the PCB's (£165 replacement).

Thanks Tricky. Actually I have two for reasons unknown. The house was an executor's sale so without a ouija board I'll never know. Only one operates, but the wiring is a nightmare. The circulating pump runs 24/7 despite control settings and although it's a fully pumped system, I cannot have hot water without the c/h being nominally on. I back off the room 'stat to 15C and still get DHW but cold rads of course. It all needs a de-bodging I suspect. ???

boilers.jpg

BTW that's not the kitchen - it's a scruffy utility off the garage! 

reason  im thinking a replacement is its its about 17 years old and there are far more efficient ones out there. it is playing up today and I don't see it worth paying out for repair and put cost towards a new one. unless I can sort it out cheap today.

the  Valliant boilers look big. need to check the  size as it will go in a kitchen cabinet.

need to get a longer immersion heater element for my tank [using excess solar power to heat it but I think I only have a short one in there at the moment . do they come out easy after 17 years.

My son has a Vaillant combi in his flat in south London. It was about five years old when he moved there and that was more than 15 years ago. Only two failures thus far and they were none too expensive: fan came loose on the shaft requiring a new fan motor assembly, and a valve failed due to hardness salts build up. You expect hard water/recycled sewage in London.  :ghostface:

In my old house we had a floor standing Potterton that was so old it was converted to natural gas in the nineteen seventies. Two thermocouples and a gasket later and it still works well. Not efficient, of course, but so costly to replace that the payback period would be too long for a modern boiler to survive.

HO well it looks like the electronic unit. gone going to start looking at new boilers

boiler now fixed big thanks for lee Dickerson from the Essex area for spare electronic bd

not major rush now for new boiler

boiler now fixed big thanks for lee Dickerson from the Essex area for spare electronic bdnot major rush now for new boiler

Hey hey, who needs a Ouija board, told yer PCB is a weak link.

Thanks Tricky. Actually I have two for reasons unknown. The house was an executor's sale so without a ouija board I'll never know. Only one operates, but the wiring is a nightmare. The circulating pump runs 24/7 despite control settings and although it's a fully pumped system, I cannot have hot water without the c/h being nominally on. I back off the room 'stat to 15C and still get DHW but cold rads of course. It all needs a de-bodging I suspect. ??? boilers.jpg BTW that's not the kitchen - it's a scruffy utility off the garage!

That could be wired incorrectly, or an end switch sticking on a zone valve (silver box on pipe between the 2 boilers).

Oh and yer I bet that's not yer kitchen. Lol.

Thanks again, Tricky. Good tip about the sticky switch; I'll check that. There's a couple of other motorised valves too; I will look at those as well.

I intend to spend a few hours with a multimeter and a copy of the Honeywell Sundial S Plan schematic as soon as I can. Judging by other parts of the house (previously owned by a 75 year old widow with a succession of boyfriends who did odd jobs) Bodger was the requisite title of anyone working on it. All of the components are Honeywell bar the boiler so it should be simple-ish. It is complicated a bit by the second boiler and two frost stats, but I think I can see round those with luck.

We had a valiant ecotech installed 4 years ago, all good so far and very pleased with the savings on gas usage.

• Like 1

been recommended a valiant boiler

would that be Mrs Robinson's old house :laugh:

Could be....  :d