Members Directory

bonesetter

I see there's not a directory of where members and their cars live...

When looking into previous marque's I've found this forum feature useful - contacting local members for chat, info & driving experiences :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• bonesetter

• Norman Verona

• FILFAN

I am sure if you drop Scott a PM he may be able to pass on some information on who is in your area.

I am sure if you drop Scott a PM he may be able to pass on some information on who is in your area.

Thanks, Scott being the admin chappie I presume?

Thanks, Scott being the admin chappie I presume?

oh I wish I could see his little face when he reads that :yes: ha ha

He is our faithful membership secretary :)

• Like 3

He he, glad to have brought some light to a face then :)

How do I get in touch with Scott?

If you go to the boardroom main page then click on the moderating team link at the bottom of the page. You can then send him a pm

Phil

I just keep a lookout for peoples locations on the left when they post and sometimes drop them a PM. 

The ones that want to be known will have it on

Scott is laying on a beach in Spain, soaking up sun and watching the women do same.

Maybe we should leave the old fella to his dreams for this week.

Greetings from somewhere significantly warmer and drier...

Interesting idea, a member directory.  I can, however, see problems with the Data Protection Act as well as people's desire for privacy, which is why the My Location bit in your profile is optional.  Bear in mind as well that quite a few people don't use the boardroom and simply use the mags and meet locally.

My suggestion is to go to your local area meet and talk face to face with the locals and your Area Organiser, who has a list of locals.  In your case, that would be Don Homer and the Black Country meet.  There's a handy map with full details in the website, and a link to it in a pinned thread in the Local Events section of the forums as well. :)

EDIT: Here you go - http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/95311-map-of-local-area-meetings-organisers/

Scott, you could put a notice in the next magazine for members to register themselves in a directory. The town will suffice as an address and a contact telephone or email (or both). No DPA to worry about as long as the directory is secure. It could also have a brief spec of the cars but under defined headings.

Probably only needs a spreadsheet type entry.

I've got some work to do today but let me think about it whilst I whistle.

I think it's a good idea. They have one on the locost forum. When (and when I was looking) I owned my BEC, I found a local owner who showed me the ropes,and I still meet now even now I've long since sold my car. He bough a trailer off me too :)

Their directory is purely voluntary IIRC. So the member puts the info in. No actual address obviously, nearest town etc.

Erm, actually, we already do! It's part of the functionality of the new Boardroom.

Now bear in mind the "My Location" is entirely optional, and many if not most, choose not to fill it in.

But if you click on the Members tab on the list at the top of the page, (between blogs and shop). It will bring up the member list. Then all you need to do is press the search button, you'll see at the bottom of the page of things you can sort the members list by is My Location. Put the region you want to look for in there and do a search, then you'll get a shorter list back of all the members who've filled matching My Location info in.

Thanks Dave, you beat me to it AND explained I better than I could! :)

Norman, I'm afraid I have to rain on your parade a bit.  A list of names, phone numbers and / or email addresses of members is a definite no-go.  Even the AOs don't get member phone numbers or full home addresses because of the DPA.  It's highly sensitive data.  All you have to do is imagine two people having a boardroom spat and then escalating it through direct contact...

As for putting in a notice in the mag, remember the recent vote on the new constitution with he ballot in the mag?  Only 10% of the membership bothered to vote. :(

Dave's suggestion is perfect  :yes: 

OK, but I didn't say actual address, "The town will suffice as an address and a contact telephone or email (or both)".

Voting on the forum is one thing, but, of course many don't visit here, you need a notice in the magazine to alert people to a vote or the ability to fill in their details, if they wish, on a database.