Trouble uploading GoPro vids onto Youtube

Cleggy the Spyder Man

That video makes you car look all wubbery.

It looks like what's known as rolling shutter. It's an artefact caused by the comparatively high vibration you typically find in things like Westfields and the the way the sensors in the video cameras at this end of the market work.

Complicated camera mounts can help, but the easiest cheapest way to minimise it, (assuming a reasonably solid mount) is to keep the frame rate as high as possible. I try and avoid ever dropping below 60 frames per second "on car" even that's not always perfect, but it's good the vast majority of the time.

It looks like what's known as rolling shutter. It's an artefact caused by the comparatively high vibration you typically find in things like Westfields and the the way the sensors in the video cameras at this end of the market work.

Complicated camera mounts can help, but the easiest cheapest way to minimise it, (assuming a reasonably solid mount) is to keep the frame rate as high as possible. I try and avoid ever dropping below 60 frames per second "on car" even that's not always perfect, but it's good the vast majority of the time.

I also find that the vibration correction that YouTube provide can cause this

dunno why but I had the gopro set at 1920 x 1080 for this event???

I had the intention of filming at either 1080 or 720p -

That video makes you car look all wubbery.

It's the same when you watch anyone with a gopro that motors tv or Eurosport use for in car footage it's a bit off putting but only seems to happen with gopro

Buzz

That 'rubbery' effect or rolling shutter or whatever, is accentuated massively by YouTube if you choose to let it try and optimise your video after uploading. Do not let it try and correct for vibration.

Best GoPro settings seems to be 720p @ 60fps. You need the high frame rate to prevent the rolling shutter effect.

All this footage was shot at 25FPS so it could be other settings that are causing the problem rather than frame rate:

Useful info though - thanks chaps; will up the frame rate. :yes:

When I was a teen/in my twenties I could hand hold a heavy SLR + lens down to insanely low shutter speeds with no issues, I could also get razor sharp pans of racing cars at 1/60 with the most amazingly long motion blur to the background. I can't now, even using the same camera/lens. I got old and decrepit and suffer from camera shake earlier than I used to.

The CMOS sensors used in the budget through to semi pro cameras are much the same. Sure, different processing on different models will make some worse than others. Likewise I know people using GoPros in high vibration environments at slower "shutter speeds" with reasonable success thanks to very heavy damped camera mounts. (Think two heavy aluminium plates sandwiching the camera body). Likewise, some cars and bikes just seem to be so smooth they never trigger the key vibrations that cause the problem.

The catch is, (custom mount's aside), you won't know if you've suffered until you come to review the footage, and then it's to late. I've heard of software attempts to remove it, but not seen or heard of anything that effective yet. It'll come I'm sure.

I'm sure some of the dodgier video compression/encoding software probably does exaggerate it too. But the best advice Ive received so far to minimise it is to keep the shutter speed up by keeping the frame rate high. As a bonus, for those artistic slow mo sequences you've more raw material to work with, rather than just relying on software interpolation. (Unless you were lucky enough to shoot on a high speed camera, anyway!)

Firstly, Dave, you're not that old. You're still a young gun compared to some of us.

I could do the same with my Pentax and Olympus SLR's with long lenses but can't with a Cannon Digital. I guess the difference isn't age but film vs Digital.

I've lost interest in photography, as a friend of mine says, with the film cameras you make pictures, with modern computerised cameras you take pictures. OK, my Cannon is not new but many times I want to take low light level pictures it refuses. Who's boss here? The manual mode is not easy to use as it's so fiddly to set quickly.

Anyway, back on topic, I think Cleggy's film is great, it looks like a cartoon car. Bet he worked really hard and is so clever to get that effect.