Trouble uploading GoPro vids onto Youtube

Cleggy the Spyder Man

I have used the gopro cineform studio to convert the videos I took at North Weald- even a just over one minute video is 300 plus meg when converted on the lowest quality setting

I have tried uploading the AVI and the MP4 version onto youtube

they take hours to upload and when they do finally finish they fail to process

Other than turn the quality right down on future stuff I shoot with the camera, what can I do to get these existing videos onto youtube?

Thanks in advance :t-up:

Have you converted the file to avi and then back to mp4 again

Maybe try some different editing software?

Adobe Premier is software the pro studios use, the older CS2 version is free now so might be worth a try?

In my experience the world of videos & codecs & settings is complicated and fiddly, but Youtube is quite good accepts pretty much anything usually.

Have you converted the file to avi and then back to mp4 again

As above, I guess you've converted the files for editing in cineform but not then saved the edited file as an mp4?

Once they're all converted click the edit clips (not sure the exact wording) on the bottom right and it takes you to the edit window to adjust colour balance etc... then click the blue save as mp4 button at the bottom in the middle section that lets you specify filenames and folders etc..

I have done that guys...

Will try again tonight though

I have done that guys...

Will try again tonight though

Then I'm stumped Cleggy, how long are the videos?  Mine take a while to upload but it goes through ok when they finally get there

Think the files sizes are still a lot bigger then I expected for a you tube upload but they did work 

I can't understand why a popular camera like gopro can't just be uploaded without all the messing. It's a joke really

There are lots of different export settings, some of them are for DVD burning, use on current machine, etc (which will be huge file sizes) - you want something a bit smaller for web uploading. I tend to shoot for around 30Mb per minute of footage, which is a decent balance between quality and file size IMO.

A decent editing program like Adobe Premiere (that Chris linked to) is more complex but gives you a lot more control over the export settings. There are loads of tutorial vids on YouTube, or feel free to give me a shout if you want any help. :yes:

I can't understand why a popular camera like gopro can't just be uploaded without all the messing. It's a joke really

You can, but the file sizes are large which is what's causing Cleggy the issue.

Use a "proper" video upload/hosting service and it's less, much less, of an issue. YouTube isn't designed for this sort of use, so it helps greatly to tailor your output towards the service it's going on. If that's YouTube, then tweak you're output accordingly.

The Pro/Semi Pro video software is fantastic, Final Cut Pro is another good one. But to be honest, for many people things like iMovie (for Mac) and Windows Movie Maker (admit I've not used it for a year or two now, so may have changed), will do what you want, AND provide "preset" configurations for popular services like YouTube.

It's funny how technology has moved on, we're casually talking about home shot footage and it's processing and manipulation, that not that many years ago would have needed dedicated workstations and server-farms to handle.

Good point Dave - Movie Maker is a good shout if you just want to compress (reduce the file size of) the footage for upload to the 'net :yes: No need to get too technical...

will try that guys :t-up:

yup moviemaker has down sized it - thanks

here's test

That video makes you car look all wubbery.

• Like 1