Anyone with experience of the pitfalls with..................

AidanPlace

A high mileage VW Touareg 2.4 diesel.

Mrs wants one, it's decent nick 130K on the clock. She won't do many miles 5kpa but handy for pulling the caravan.

Anything to look out for?

Aidan

David Hussey had one as far as I remember, drop him a pm but don't expect an answer until monday, think he will be at Curborough this week end.

• Like 1

Mrs Coyote just got rid of one with ~90k on the clock.

Never once let her down and made a great tow car.  Bit thirsty (high 20s around the time she sold it) and tyres weren't cheap, but that rather goes with the territory.  Seem to recall VED was quite high too.

If I were buying one, I'd be checking that all the electrics worked (inc controls for low range) and condition of the expensive consumables (brakes/tyres).  Also make sure the nav disc is in the drive when you get the car as these are quite expensive.

Ours wore the miles really well too.  Seats in particular remained in great condition, without any of the bolster wear you often get - wouldn't surprise me if there are a few out there with "corrected" odometers as a result, so might be worth checking dates/mileages in the service history if you get the slightest inkling that there's any wear.

Only downside was that it could have done with a bit more poke.  Wasn't undriveable by a long stretch, but would try and stretch to the 3L if you can.

If you do buy one, you're welcome to a free boot liner... wife was going to eBay it but hadn't fully thought through how she might pack it!

Cheers,

Had a drive of the one she liked today and although solid, not sure about the electrics and needs new front disks. Like the idea but i'm going to look for a better example.

Aidan, What sort of price range. Have you considered looking in England (or Scotland). There's a lot on Autotrader, most from dealers.

I'd be tempted to look at auctions too... that's where ours ended up when it was traded in, and I'm pretty sure it will have gone for a song due to most folk avoiding thirstier cars at present.  In fact, out of curiosity, I've just had a look on the VW approved site and the cheapest one on there (6mths younger, 15k fewer miles) is a good 5k more than she got as trade in...

I've been running a 2.0 TDI DSG Touran

140 BHP spec

It's been a good car for the last 6 years. Done 115K with no real issues.

One thing has has recently caused a trip to a garage is an issue with the flywheel - clutch interface plate. It has started to rattle and I've been given a cost of approx £1000. Other than that she's been a good old girl.

Variable service intervals, good MPG upwards of 40 round town and upto 55+ on runs.

Was recalled last year for an injector change so make sure the car sounds good, they should be smooth and that the injectors have been changed if diesel

I've been running a 2.0 TDI DSG Touran

One thing has has recently caused a trip to a garage is an issue with the flywheel - clutch interface plate. It has started to rattle and I've been given a cost of approx £1000.

Ah the good old dual mass flywheel a great ideal but chuffing expensive when it goes wrong and rattling or juddering is usually the 1st to start scaring your wallet

Buzz

I had one of these on a trip to Hungary to harvest a load of timber.

I had it for 3 days to run around the forests (earth roads not stone) and 2 things - it was actually quite good off road - and the wireless is superb.

It did make my girlfriend sick as a dog mind owing to stiff ride.

All in all a very good car with nice buttons a good radio.