Happy again

Terryathome

Been to NMS today, 14 hour day and totally whacked out.

Had a quick set up on the geo (only cos i took track rod end off to replace a boot) but also to put it on the RR so the map could be set for running the engine in. Just got home and had to take it for a spin and what a difference. No powers figures yet as the engine is new so have to run it in first then a proper RR session, will let you know later.

Cannot say how impressed I was with Troy and his son who worked on the car.

Only a downside to the trip I had a tyre blowout on the trailer, am I glad that I bought a twin axle trailer. Will post a pic later, you should see the tyre, will need a new one as all the guts are on the M6 somewhere.

Terry

Sounds good. If you can find the time a non stop run to Land End and back is a good way to bed an engine in. I did this and never went over 4,000 RPM, tickover really.

Sounds good,

Very lucky with trailer blow out. Seen many trailers and caravans that have had blowouts and are in bits at the side of the road.

Norm's constant run, to run the engine in, in one go would be good! I could go Birmingham - Exeter and back on the M5! Middle lane 55mph, 2,800 RPM. :d

good news Terry, what a great place NMS is...  I had a double blow out on my lorry towing a 3.5tonne chipper on Tuesday - that was hairy....  Glad the car is going well

Terry,

That's the way to do it!

I do try my hardest sometimes.

Tell you what, those 40 ton wagons going past don't half make you change a wheel quick.

Terry

Makes those that Norman had on his car look brand new!

Cheers

Tyres 3 year old same as the trailer.

Norm you want a spare tyre for your R type lol

Terry

Constant rev's / load is not the best way of running an engine in from what I've read.

• Like 1

No, it's not particularly good at sealing rings.

Funnily enough a dyno, with a correctly briefed operator, who knows what to do, is a really good place to bed an engine in, in a controlled and measured fashion. It's just rather costly for us mere mortal builders to do it that way.

There is some controversy over ideal running in methods for (performance) engines. But that's a subject for a whole thread in it's own right.

Dave, I didn't keep constant revs, kept it going up to circa 4000 and then down to 3500 then up a bit .... you get the idea. HM thought I was trying to play a tune!

There are, indeed many theories about bedding an engine in. I subscribe to the gentle, long run to get the rings bedded in to the bores. Seems to have worked on mine, 10 years on and it's still going strong. Mine you I have mechanical sympathy for it (and any other mechanical device).  I never rev the nuts off it when not under load, never go over 4000 RPM until the oil is warmed through and just treat it with care. Yes, I can give it the full throttle treatment sometimes, but have it limited to 9000 RPM.

Terry, I would have it but for the fact that the Honda has a skinny spare.