Tales of a Honda Type R

Norman Verona

As you may now be aware I bought a Honda Type R last weekend.

We picked it up from Bell Vue in Manchester and drove it back to Sheffield with HM following in the Audi. I transferred all the luggage and bits and pieces from the Audi to the Honda.

We then set out for Amersham and then onto Ashford for the night then the ferry from Dover next morning. About 800 miles in all.

When we left Manchester I thought the clutch was slipping under hard acceleration so I took it very easy all the way back. The car had a very pronounced vibration over 50 mph. I diagnosed this as a tyre problem, felt like it had a "lump" on a rear tyre.

We got back later Tuesday night and got the luggage in and went to bed.

On Wednesday I went into town to arrange insurance. On the way back I came down the dual carriageway and gave it a bootful. Clutch seemed OK so I thought I may have imagined it. However yesterday I tried and it's definitely slipping when cold but only slightly when hot. New clutch will be fitted ASAP.

Wednesday and yesterday I searched the car for the locking wheel nut key. Not there. As my mig welder was borrowed by my friend Jacob about 6 months ago and is at the moment about 40 miles from here I had to take the car to our local tractor man, Dominique. He wouldn't weld nuts onto the locking nuts as he was concerned about the electronics on the car. I said it would be OK if I disconnected the battery but he still wasn't happy.  Instead we got a rotary file in an air drill and cut flats on the sides, hammered an impact socket on and removed them. Whilst he was doing this I was inspecting the tyres. One rear tyre was so worn down on one edge that it had exposed the wire bracing and was wearing through it. Vibration found and diagnosis correct.

I then went into town to the tyre place. I needed 4 off 205/45/v17 tyres. They do not carry them in stock. Bridgestones are recommended. He looks up the price, adds the TVA (VAT) and hold up the calculator to show me the price. When I recover and pick myself up from the floor he looks up another make which I've never heard of. Half the price. I take the brochure from him and see they are a budget tyre from Bridgestone. I elect to have the "real" ones. He informs me they will not be in until Tuesday.

I'm going to the bank today to apply for a mortgage for 4 tyres. 

I get back home and decide a thorough valet is required. However I won't be applying polish as it's far too hot. The body is so hot (black car) that I can't touch it. Spray it with the jet wash and dry each section at a time to stop streaks forming as the water dries in the sun. Then move the car into the workshop and start vacuuming the interior. Takes 3 hours but the car is far more presentable now. When it's a lot cooler and a bit cloudy I'll polish it. However it looks good now. 

I also jet washed the engine bay and engine. I'm really not that bothered if the body is dirty, I must have a clean engine bay and engine.

So, I paid £2500 for it, the lad Mr Malik Mahmood, wanted £2800. The others on Autotrader with same year/mileage were between £3000 and £3500. I probably will end up a bit over that but will have a new clutch and tyres. I reckon it's about right.

I'll get some pictures up when I get a chance. Gite repairs today.

Id be happy with that outlay. Should be a nice motor, just keep eye on the oil. Why not wax it in your workshop?

Ben

What type of type R is it Norman, civic, integra or accord? Presume civic.

It's a civic Pete. Norm, you haven't said how you like the drive? Or just that it has t been driven in anger yet :)

By the way, the paintwork is butter soft and very prone to swirls. Once you've polished it up I would recommend something called poor boys black hole which is quick to apply and worked wonders on mine (also black). It can be applied after cleaning and in direct sunlight and I guarantee your car will look fabulous.

So many questions, so little time (sounds good, doesn't it)

It's a 2003 Civic. 

I did check the oil twice on the way back. Needed a litre when I picked it up and another 700 miles further on. I'm just going to find out what grade to use. I've ordered a clutch kit, a set of mats and an oil filter (all OEM). I will change oil and filter when doing the clutch.

I haven't really tried in full anger yet due to the clutch. But gave it full throttle yesterday and it's impressive. I'll give a real go when the clutch is in.

YP, I have a bottle of Maguires which I'll try. 

Little story. Many years ago we had a white Datsun 180B in PX. It wouldn't sell and as I had a trade out policy of 6 weeks I asked for it to be given a better clean before trading it out. The valeter we had at the time was a bit useless. I came in one day in working clothes and spent the day cleaning (I was a director of the company). Seats out full interior valet, full exterior clean, tar spots removed and polished. The whole car was transformed. It looked the business. Sold in 24 hours.

5w40 fully synth was recommended spec iirc

Yep meguiars is good but is a polish. What I mentioned is a masking glaze so technically cheating. But a lot less effort :)

It's a civic Pete. Norm, you haven't said how you like the drive? Or just that it has t been driven in anger yet :)

By the way, the paintwork is butter soft and very prone to swirls. Once you've polished it up I would recommend something called poor boys black hole which is quick to apply and worked wonders on mine (also black). It can be applied after cleaning and in direct sunlight and I guarantee your car will look fabulous.

best applied after claying i found (although you only want to do this once a year as its the most boring thing in the world). if you leave black hole on without sealing with a wax (natty blue is good) then it just comes off. a combo of the black hole and the poorbiys exp sealant is very good. then some sort of rapid detailer after a wash and it shines like no ones business!

enjoy the car norm. what make were the budget tyres?

I don't mind a bit of a hard rub. I sometimes do it to the car as well. I have a bar of clay, but I'll pass on that for now.

Tyres: I can't remember the name, not one I've seen before. On the back of the price list was Bridgestones French address.

I'm not even sure which Bridgestone type he's getting, I have to concentrate on my French so taking in other information isn't an option.

I've just ordered the clutch kit (3 pieces), a carpet set and an oil filter. Just over £200 plus £15 carriage. I'll get the oil in the next few weeks.

Curious no one's asked the price of the tyres. Not that I'll say on here, HM may see it. I like my knackers in their little bag.

... One rear tyre was so worn down on one edge that it had exposed the wire bracing and was wearing through it. Vibration found and diagnosis correct.

Norm, don't you think you'd better throw in some wheel alignment whilst you're spending some cash..? ;)

Bombero, I think it's been done. This tyre is on the rear and worn on the inside. The fronts are worn evenly.

When I've done all work I'll check the track and camber myself.

Thanks for pointing that out, much appreciated.

• Like 1

I don't mind a bit of a hard rub. 

ooooo errr  ???  :oops: Keep it on topic please.

YO, I'm not sure why I'm doing all this cleaning. I only wash cars once a year, usually when I sell them.

I used to be obsessed with cleaning mine for some reason.  In fact sadly, I have loads of pics.  Bizarely I remember taking this one which shows the rear quater panel after just a clean and the front door after a clean and application of black hole only (I don't sell the stuff honest)

BMW161.jpg

CTR074.jpg

Now that's shiny. Too shiney for me.