Moan number 3 and a funny story

Norman Verona

OK, decided on Friday to get a Honda Type R. 

Looked at those on Autotrader. Had a budget of up to £3000.

Phone a few but not impressed. Then phone a chap in Belle Vue, Manchester. Sounded OK so set off Sunday morning at 07:00 to see it. 

Malek showed me the car. He had bought it at auction for his brother but then found the insurance would be £3000. So wanted to move it on. Body and paint OK. Clock said 85,000 miles. Will need a tyre or two in about 3-6k. I told him it would need four tyres and a new cam belt ("R"'s have a chain). So I offered him £2500 instead of the £2800 he was asking. He tried to argue for £2700 then £2600. I have learnt how to haggle the bazaar way. So I turned and walked away saying "2-5, take or leave it" He took it.

I phoned my daughter and got her to transfer £1 to see how long it took. Arrived in his bank in a few minutes. Then got her to transfer the £2500. This was at 09:30.

We were still waiting for it to arrive at 16:00 and, at that time, gave up and came back to Sheffield. Had to postpone a meeting in Amersham, the ferry and hotel in Ashford.

Went back next morning and money was in his bank and we drove back to Sheffield, HM following in the Audi. Got back to the office, transferred all the stuff from the Audi to the Honda and set off for Amersham.

OK, My moan is this.

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO TELL THESE BANKS THAT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. WE WILL NOT BE CHEATED ANY LONGER. THEY HAVE TAKEN THE MONEY FROM MY DAUGHTERS ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY AND HELD IT FOR 24 HOURS (ON THE OVERNIGHT MONEY MARKETS).  

The same thing was happening with my euro transfer until I complained then it stopped and I now buy and get the Euros in my French bank the same day.

If this sort of thing happened to the French there would be bankers hanging from every lamppost. 

The car seemed to have a slipping clutch so drove gently back to here. However I gave it some beans this morning and it is fine. Might have been some oil on the plate which has burnt off now. We will see. I reckon I can spend £1000 on it if I need to and still be ahead. It's very black and shiny, Needs a good, proper, clean which I'll do when the grass is cut and the gites are sorted and the grass is cut again and I've got several car loads of rubbish to the tip and the the porch is finished. We now have all the windows in and a front door. But no lock and the joints need sealing and .... OK, I'll clean the car before winter some time.

• Like 1

sending a token amount then a large amount is a classic fraud trait - you'd have triggered an anti fraud system to hold it pending review. I reckon if you'd have done the full amount it would have been fine

Ah happy days, a Type R with a nice stretch of sea between me and it!  :d 

• Like 1

Dom, doubt that as my daughter expected a call to verify it but no call.

Dave, it's only a small stretch of water,

Keep an eye on the oil norm. They drink it fairly quickly but that's normal.

Noticed that. I topped up before leaving Sheffield and needed another litre at Rennes, about 550 miles on.

Thanks for the warning, I was thinking of stripping it to "refresh" the engine.

Yep the manual basically tells you to check the oil each time you fill up with fuel so I wouldn’t be concerned.

Mine averaged 0.5 litres every 1200 miles but they were all different going by other owners comments.

I haven't got a manual. I've bid for one on Ebay so we'll see if I win. Bit like the lottery really only the lottery costs more!