PC speakers on a TV

Norman Verona

Whilst in the UK I popped into a Currys/PC World and purchased a set of PC speakers. I asked if they would work on my TV and was told they would be OK if plugged into the headphone socket. 

I have got the mains into the socket, the light green cable into the speaker socket on the TV.

The sound quality is fantastic, I've never heard such silent noise.

Anyone any idea on where I'm going wrong. The speaker plug will not fit any other socket on the TV.

Thanks

ED to ADD: I have sorted it. A little switch on the side that says ON/OFF needed moving from one position to the other. OK, I'm todays muppet! (some would say every days muppet)

• Like 1

Oops. :oops:

I nearly posted asking if they were turned on/plugged in to the mains/power supply was set to wrong Voltage etc.

Had this with the lads, if I remember rightly I had to go into settings and change something on the headphone side and it started working

So now they work what's the verdict - and how much were they?  Interested since most of our TV watching seems to be interspersed with "What did he say?" etc and constantly re-winding to hear everything twice!

I never listen to the TV speakers, they are all carp.  I've connected my TV sound out phono sockets to my Mission Cyrus amp and listen on Ruark speakers and an MJ Pro 50 subwoofer, sounds great on action films and TV programmes too. You'll be amazed how much work goes into producing the soundtrack on any TV programm.  I only just added the Subwoofer and a new dimension has opened up, thunderstorms scare me and wifey now.

• Like 1

My TV isn't in the same room as the hifi amp otherwise I would do same.

The problem with wall mounted sets is the speakers are facing backwards. If your head is at the same level you can hear it clearly. My TV is high on the wall. If I'm sitting down in my armchair the sound is above my head so it's "what did he say" all the time. 

I did look for an on/off switch on the speaker with the mains cable coming from it. It's on the other speaker!