Popping Dip Stick

tightscot

As above, except to be technically correct it's not the egr valve.  That's the exhaust gas recirculation valve which is part of the exhaust emission pack if fitted (more commonly on diesels) and is usually quite a chunky thing and solenoid controlled.  This is the crankcase breather valve or crankcase pressure control valve (pcv).

Well that's a fine state of affairs, least you survived to tell the tale.

Get yourself better first and think about the car later

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Sorry too hear about your incident with both your car and foot mate!

On the plus side its not really Westie weather there is far too much blue in the sky and its too warm at present! :laugh::p

All the best for a quick recovery hope the car gets sorted too1

• Like 1

Ouch, sorry to hear your woes there TS. I think calling yourself a "Popping Dip Stick" is a bit harsh, but I can understand the sentiment.

I've left the point about using the foot brake alone & no doubt someone will pop along soon to provide some advice on your poorly Zetec.

All the best :)

ouch indeed hope your both well soon

maybe you should try left foot breaking  :d

All you can really damage with a blocked breather is gaskets and seals, gasket set and a few hours in the garage.

However, if it is not caused by a blocked breather, and you have too much crankcase pressure to get out of the breather that is there, then you could be looking at worm rings. An easy way to test this is a compression test, then put a teaspoon of oil in each bore, if the reading improves, the rings are worn.

A compression test might not show up "blow by " if it's not a blocked or collapsed breather better doing a leak down test

Hope your foot gets better soon :-)

Nice end ;-)

I wish you a quick recovery.

About the crankcase breather : i doubt that it would cause such problems. Dunnell sells a blanking plate and he assures that the camcover breather is sufficient. Or there are some blocked conduits - oil galleries in the engine...

Yes, never personally heard of blocked breathers causing anything worse than leaking/blown oil seals. Though of course, that can lead to it's own problems.