Footage from my new Roadhawk HD camera

robo1968

I bought this camera for another car but thought it would be fun to try it on the Westy so fitted it at the weekend to the roll bar for a Sunday blat on some of my local roads in the fine weather. It uses GoPro Hero 2 tech inside but also has GPS so you can trace where you've been and G force sensors. Make sure you set the YouTube quality setting to 1080P! Have to admit that the original footage was much better quality and on YouTube it's loses some of that even on 1080P. Although it does have an external mike jack I didn't bother with it and as you can hear in this clip it seemed to cope quite well - not even too much wind noise!

http://youtu.be/UG6ftlePanc

For those interested in the camera - here's the website http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/roadhawk-hd/prod_30.html

• Like 1

errr why have you got ear wufters on wuv are they intercom

To protect my rather delicate ears! My wife says I have feminine ears?! (they are Bose noise cancelling things - if I don't wear them I get quite a ringing)

Go pro 2 are much cheaper to be honest and the pixilation isn't as bad on the fast stuff(scenary going by) but still not bad though

Buzz

Is that really sold as a HD Camera............. mmmmmm no comment

Go pro 2 are much cheaper to be honest and the pixilation isn't as bad on the fast stuff(scenary going by) but still not bad though

Buzz

Just seen the price...........  I sticking with my GoPro, that all im going to say 

Tyhe Roadhawk's a clever bit of kit. I've often thought about getting one as an 'in case of accident' device. It's not surprising that the package is geared up to collecting evidence rather than being the best stand-alone camera.

It looks as if it's compensated for the bright light by setting a very fast shutter speed. You'd probably get better results by fitting (with gaffer tape if necessary!) a neutral density filter in front of the camera lens. A 0.6 or 0.9 should do the trick. It's also possible you've shot with a low bitrate. I know the Roadhawk can be varied from 4Mb/s to 12Mb/s - try the 12 setting, it should give much better results.

It was on 12Mb/s. to be honest the footage looks much better on the original file. At least I'm happy with it - somehow in the transfer to YouTube it's lost something - not sure how or what the best way to do that is. It uses the same processor as the gopro 2 (or silver edition) but with added bonus of GPS data (on google maps) GPS speed and g force data.

Anyway, didn't get as a kit car toy - its for my tin top that I spend about 40 hours a week in in case of 'incidents' so I've got evidence and seems to be good at what it does. Just thought it would be fun to see how it went in the Westy.

In that case it looks as if YouTube have b*******ed it. It wouldn't be the first time! If you could sling the raw footage over to me (pm me first) I can run it through our YouTube encoder and see if that makes it look any better. 

Brian