been at the carbon again

FILFAN

Thought I'd have a carbon day ?.......Was going to fit new carbon CSR wings but found large patch of what looks like delamination,about the size of a 5p. Pity as looked stunning,but supplier is replacing them.They are also making some canards in carbon........very Pimp I know but why not?????

Who was that from graham ?

Well done Phil, gald you had a great day out... it takes the level of westy ownership to another level doesnt it? I'm dead pleased for you mate 

Thought I'd have a carbon day ?.......Was going to fit new carbon CSR wings but found large patch of what looks like delamination,about the size of a 5p. Pity as looked stunning,but supplier is replacing them.They are also making some canards in carbon........very Pimp I know but why not?????

Just found someone that has made carbon CSR wings, didn't sell, went GRP... Didn't sell as he was expecting, so sacked it. Has a set of CF's I have got cheap, cash on collection.

Decided I'm going for a carbon fibre screen fillet at some point. Then have it so I could take wipers off, take screen off and have an aero screen. Make up plates that fit existing holes and mount mirrors to them.

Before that I'm going to carbon skin a zetec blacktop cam cover and fit it to my silver top.

Decided I'm going for a carbon fibre screen fillet at some point. Then have it so I could take wipers off, take screen off and have an aero screen. Make up plates that fit existing holes and mount mirrors to them.

Why don't you just get a spare scuttle and swap the lot , if you use your car all weathers it would seem pointless resealing the screen everytime to the sucttle or are you just using your cheap runaround and keep the westy for the fair weather ?

Why don't you just get a spare scuttle and swap the lot , if you use your car all weathers it would seem pointless resealing the screen everytime to the sucttle or are you just using your cheap runaround and keep the westy for the fair weather ?

Run around in bad weather. I want to go aero screen, but know novelty will wear off. I like just jumping in and driving off. If I needed to put a helmet on everytime I drove my car it would wear thin quickly. Plus how often is the weather good enough for an aero screen? With windscreen/doors I could use the Westfield most days.

I've had an aero for over 10 years and have been out in all weathers and never worn a helmet. A pair of goggles and I'm away.

With Aeroscreen you need waterproofs, in which case, with a helmet it's not too bad in wet weather. BUT, you also need to prepare the rest of the car too, so carpets out, soft trim out, grp or carbon shell seat. Drain holes in the seats and floor... And so on. (Assuming you want the option of all weather use).

I ran Aeroscreened for six or seven years, all year round, but much as I like the feel of the car with an aeroscreen on, I just got fed up of all the faffing around with helmets etc. It also got to be a pain blatting with mates. Of the group of us that would usually go for runs together, I was the only aero'd car. I have to say, nobody ever said anything, but I often felt like I was being a pain, holding the others up everytime we set off, while I got ear plugs in, helmet on etc - I wear glasses too, so poping a lid on and off isn't  quite so straightforward.

Since putting the windscreen on, I've loved the car even more. I did have an idea at the start of making the wind careen and aero interchangeable Caterham style. But unfortunately,  I find that the grp scuttle tends to change shape over time to match the windscreen or aero, so just wasn't going to work for me.

Interchangeable scuttles would do it. But not sure if I'm that bothered!

• Like 1

Dave,

Kinda what I was feeling. I did 8 years in motorbikes and when I went to 7's I loved the way it was the same as driving and car. On a bike I always had boots, full leathers, gloves... Etc. so it took ages to go out and walking about in full leathers when it's hot ain't much fun TBH. All I need is half decent shoes and I'm sorted in the :westy:. Why I wanted a quick and easy change over option. So I could swap every so often. However... I feel I'll just keep my full screen. Still carbon fibre fillet!

Norman,

10 years...all in France? :laugh:

Third dimension is Mrs C. Hated bike helmet's and faffing. Won't get in if doors are off! So aero would massively reduce the use ability.

Stephen, no we've only been here 7 years. actually, it's more than 10 years, I must have had it on at least 5 years before moving.

I've been caught in rain, snow, hail and freezing colds.

I've been caught in all those conditions and left roof at home or been on motorway thinking... It won't last long and by time I come off, roof on, come back on it'll stop. Then it doesn't, so I think, nearly back... Then I end up stuck in Birmingham slow moving traffic!!!

I've been caught out in snow before, roof down. And that wasn't as bad as hail... About 50mph was ok, hail went over the top, same as rain, over the top after 40-50mph. But I think I'd get a bit bored of that with an aero. Be too much like the inconvenience of a bike again. Although helmet on, earplugs in, Mrs C the same... I'll not hear her whining.