'Cover your car' car cover, any good?

Onliest Smeg David

Might have to have a word with them and see what they can do. I don't need anything portable, it's never going to have to be packed into the WF. But it does have to work all year round, sun 'n snow, in gales and torrential rain, yet still need to be breathable, (or if not, ventilated somehow). And importantly, not rub and mark the gelcoat. (My current one is bad for that).

car port wuv , or even a portable garage thingy they are brilliant for not a lot of money

The Halfords outdoor cover is the small. I've had two so far so I guess they only last a year and a bit - mind you it's been pretty crappy weather wise I 'spose so not bad at £60.00 a pop and it's kept the worst off mine so far.

Perambulator garage thingy would be my ideal if I could get SWMBO to agree to one, that or win the lotto and move to a house with garage  :laugh:

• 1 month later...

May I resurrect this one please?   :d 

I'm soon going to be moving house and won't have a garage any longer, probably for a few years.  The Westy will sit on the drive and will not be taxed for 6 months of the year.  I'm going to be a bit tight for money but it seems reasonable to spend £150-ish on a cover, possibly a little more, if totally  necessary, for that all year, all weather protection.  I've been quite worried about this from a weather protection aspect.

Dave, what sort of Hamilton Classic cover did you use?  It sounds like you have used a range of different covers from different manufacturers and this has impressed you the most.  Is that a fair assessment?  They do a breathable, fleece lined one for approx £150, is that the sort of thing?

http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/acatalog/OutdoorCoverCarBreathableSoft.html#aMT

Aside from covers, do I need to be considering other 'good practice' for those six month storage periods through the winter?  Maybe rub the chassis down with some kind of rust protection or something?  I've heard people mention POR** something or other on hear which seems to get glowing references but not sure if that's the right application? 

That looks like it, clicky, five layer fleece lined Moltex type, with two retaining straps. (Though Ive been known to add more in gales)

POR15 is a heavy duty chassis paint, perhaps you're thinking of ACF50? A spray/wipe on protective coating, ideal for suspension parts etc. This is more something normally used by those of us on the road all year round for winter protection. But I can't see any issue with giving the surfaces a wipe over with it before storing.

The key thing would be to give the car a good clean first, and maybe a quick shake down trip round the block, just to get rid of the water, make sure it's dry etc, wipe down the chassis bits and bobs if you want to. Maybe consider increasing the tyre pressure a bit, though you could just roll it about.

Up to you if you want to remove the battery, some do.

Personally, I would also brim the fuel tank. Keeps it nice and full and stops condensation forming in there.

Don't go out starting the engine every week!

If you start the engine, drive the car till its up to temp. Otherwise you just build up more and more nasties in the oil. 

I've tried various covers in the past when I didn't have a garage, so from experience-

Park the car in a sheltered position out of the prevailing wind., and close to a wall of your house or shed.

One thing you should not do with car covers is,  tie them down so tight that air cannot circulate between the cover and the bodywork, if the cover flaps around just a little in the breeze then that would be ideal.  If the cover is too loose then it can tear where the cover touches the corners and edges of the car body during high winds.

If the cover dips anywhere, water can pool and it will not be waterproof in that area.  All the more reason to find the the best fitting cover. The Hamilton seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

I would spray the suspension parts and bare metals with WD40, it's easier to clean off the following spring or even leave it on, I find ACF 50 a bit too sticky.

Sheltered is good, but parking too close to anything can encourage them to go green and nasty! 

Thank you both, that's very helpful.  Have you noticed, from parking outside, that your car suffers more in any way?  i.e have you noticed areas of rust or other weathering that made you think "that shouldn't be there and none of the other chaps at the local meets seem to have this problem?"

I long ago decided that the Westfield was for driving, whenever the opportunity arose, if that meant a winters day, then fine. I don't SORN and did over a thousand miles last winter, and nearly two thousand the winter before.

As a result I'm not the best one to answer this.

Condensation was always the worst enemy of covering cars, however new materials in covers are much better so that problem should be minimal thesedays.

How about a cheap tent held down by weights.

Plenty of airspace and vented.

Large enough door can drive in and out.