'Cover your car' car cover, any good?

Onliest Smeg David

Hi all

Been looking at a fitted outdoor car cover for occasional use, preferably light weight and very pack-able.

Found this from Cover Your Car...

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=17050&cat=427&page=1

Anybody any experience of this one? Any good?

Or do you recommend any others at around this price or cheaper?

Other 'cheap' ones look like too much of an approximate fit, advertised for Westfields but never a picture of one on a Westfield!

Cheers

I bought a medium outdoor car cover from halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_565257_langId_-1_categoryId_165611

Fitted my Westie a treat and great for the odd time I need to leave my car outside.

I bought a medium outdoor car cover from halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_565257_langId_-1_categoryId_165611

Fitted my Westie a treat and great for the odd time I need to leave my car outside.

Medium?!!!!

If a Westie is not small, What would a small cover fit?

Ta Steve, I'll have a closer look.

Pretty sure it was medium, I can check if it helps.

I have the same manufacturers Stormforce cover. Now bear in mind, mine lives outside all year round, under the said cover...

I've been disappointed with mine. Very disappointed. It's not been as bad as the German made Car Pyjama junk I had before, but considering it was their top of the range version, it's degree of water resistance dwindled very rapidly. I can't leave the hood down underneath the cover for instance, as any rain would come through fairly quickly.

The UV stable material has degraded fast, in just over twelve months its started disintegrating at the seams, while the solid panels of material have become very delicate, they now rip and tear at the slightest provocation - the last time we had snow, the freezing chunks of ice were pulling bits off as they fell away.

I'll be going back to Hamilton Classic's covers again. (Tried to get one at Stoneleigh, but they were waiting for a new shipment of the heavy duty cover).

Kept outside, all covers do age, and degrade over time, but the Hamilton ones are the only ones Ive found to give me more than eighteen months decent performance. (My last HC one was over five years old when it started to need replacement)

• Like 1

I have the same manufacturers Stormforce cover. Now bear in mind, mine lives outside all year round, under the said cover...

I've been disappointed with mine. Very disappointed. It's not been as bad as the German made Car Pyjama junk I had before, but considering it was their top of the range version, it's degree of water resistance dwindled very rapidly. I can't leave the hood down underneath the cover for instance, as any rain would come through fairly quickly.

The UV stable material has degraded fast, in just over twelve months its started disintegrating at the seams, while the solid panels of material have become very delicate, they now rip and tear at the slightest provocation - the last time we had snow, the freezing chunks of ice were pulling bits off as they fell away.

I'll be going back to Hamilton Classic's covers again. (Tried to get one at Stoneleigh, but they were waiting for a new shipment of the heavy duty cover).

Kept outside, all covers do age, and degrade over time, but the Hamilton ones are the only ones Ive found to give me more than eighteen months decent performance. (My last HC one was over five years old when it started to need replacement)

It's a funny old world Dave, I have the very same Stormforce and used it for my Cerbera for a year while our extension was built, I thought it was fantastic, never leaked nor sweated, stayed in place well through high winds etc, I would Highly Recommend them !

Horses for courses I guess

Jane's lightweight cover is 7 years old now, only used in realy bad weather though. Still got plenty of life in it.

My power boat cover however is 11 years old, faded but still waterproof, having been on the boat 24  7  365.  It's made out of  truck curtain side material, b****y heavy but has done the job.

Cost about £450 squid though, and that was cheap, told them to make it out of whatever colour material they could not shift.  Engine cover £110 ended up sort of orange / pink :down:

Smeg's car is mainly garaged

:)

Mine was patchy, where it would leak. Most of it was fine and the permeable layer worked exactly as it should. Problem is, the are that gave up the ghost somewhere after the first six months or so of use is right over the cockpit.  :arse:

Two cold winters have really seen the outer shell degrade badly though. This last year, I was horrified as the snow came off so did big lumps of the outer layer.

I'll readily admit though, I'm probably at the extreme end when it comes to using these as its not just occasional use, but everyday, summer, winter, from intense sunlight to deep frost.

Dave can send you the contact details of the people who made my boat cover if you need them

Their materials don't degrade in a hurry, but are quite heavy.

They are in Bury, Lancs.

:)

Asit'apens....

Called there yesterday!

J Clemshaw

Barnbrook Street

BL9 7DT

0161 764 4614

They're sending me some lightweight ssmples.

Asit'apens....

Called there yesterday!

J Clemshaw

Barnbrook Street

BL9 7DT

0161 764 4614

They're sending me some lightweight ssmples.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Might have to have a word with them and see what they can do. I don't need anything portable, it's never going to have to be packed into the WF. But it does have to work all year round, sun 'n snow, in gales and torrential rain, yet still need to be breathable, (or if not, ventilated somehow). And importantly, not rub and mark the gelcoat. (My current one is bad for that).

Have a look in Westfield World mag.   Page 21. Spring edition.   Seems adeqaute to me.

Have a look in Westfield World mag.   Page 21. Spring edition.   Seems adeqaute to me.

Ta - Now why didn't I think to look through WW!  :bangshead: