New here - thinking of first Westie

Northwarks

my most rewarding drive this year was on this...  :d 8797610966_46565f37b4.jpg

Good lord, James.  

Next time you are over, you can renovate mine  :)

Would be my pleasure David... I have victorian workshop with crane... and loads of time til september as we are on holiday now til Middle of september :-) 

And welcome, Kev.

Actually, you are going to find almost any first Westie an exhilarating drive.

Therefore, I'd go for "reliable" in the first instance.  You can always make it unreliable later by "upgrading" it  :oops:

my most rewarding drive this year was on this...  :d 8797610966_46565f37b4.jpg

That would fit in nicely at Gurston Down, James  :d

Hi Kev

Welcome to our club, they are a good bunch here and I'm sure you'll find all the help you need in choosing your Westy.

Good Luck with your search

ps dont 4get it's a buyers market at the mo, don't be afraid to haggle :t-up:  

Hi and welcome,

I bought mine from Toybox and was very similar but in green to the one you're looking at, while what I'm about to tell you is in no way meant to be derogatory towards the dealer if I knew what I know now I probably wouldn't have bought mine or certainly not for the money I spent.

I returned home to an oil leak and not just the odd drip, which I discussed with him and he paid for a new sump gasket and something for my time. This didn't cure it!

A week later and I was completely hacked off with the leak which I ended up removing the engine and discovered it was the rear crank shaft oil seal which I duly changed.

This did do me a favour as the lesson learnt was, take someone with you who knows that model. I'm sure that you'll have no problem getting advice on what to look for and maybe even somebody to go with you to look (if of course you wanted), if you buy the wrong one it could work out expensive. Mine had several other issues which weren't apparent till I'd had it for a few days, heater didn't work, thermostat housing was blocked solid with S***. All of which I'm not convinced the dealer new about.

Mine had been factory built in 1996, had one owner an elderly chap from Scotland who had barely used it when I bought it 2 years ago with 2300 miles on it.

All that said do I regret buying,........hell no!

Good luck with the search. Rich.

Hope you have checked out the Cars for sale on this forum, there is a couple for sale that would suit you. You really need to have a look at the range of engine options available by visiting a local club meet and blag a passenger ride, this is what I did and I'm glad as  it pointed me in the right direction.. Don't buy the first one you see and take on board the above advice. Be prepared to travel some distance as thebest examples will not be on your doorstep.

Welcome to our madhouse. Only advice I can give is to go to your local meet where you find a very friendly bunch of chaps who will be fighting each other to help you. I would buy from a club member and save some money at the same time getting a car where you get some history.

Good luck and enjoy.

Or you can do what I did... Couldn't wait, bought the first one I found then went to the local meets and it slowly dawned on me I wanted something else, so I then did my research & bought a great car from a member on the forum and sold 'the other one'.

What ever you do enjoy & welcome ;)

Lots of great value cars up for sale at the moment. Get the best spec you can afford at the outset as always cheaper than upgrading later.

Focus on spec of the expensive bits. Engine ecu. Induction etc

Update - I have a deposit down!!

I went to have another look at the one Toybox was selling, took some of the advice you guys mentioned plus abused Google for specifics and gave it another good look over, its a very tidy car, yes its a tad more expensive than a like for like private sale .. I didn't want a stripped down track day car or one I would have to spend a heap of cash on from the outset to get the spec I wanted - this one ticks all those boxes. It has been 'cherished' by the looks of things but has none of the reams of invoices/history I know you guys keep, I suppose thats not everyones 'bag'. 

I wanted to go back to basics, had performance cars of some sort since i passed my test in the early 80s (jeez that long ?!) and for the last couple of decades only had turbo cars so to go back to carbs and no driver aids is what I was really after.

All been well I should be the proud owner in a week or so, had 2 days off work this week and a skip to clear the garage out in preperation .. not excited or anything :d

Well done you ;) I remember cleaning out the garage before my 1st Westie arrived.... super exciting

Enjoy the summer :)

Congrats :d

Hope you have many a happy drive in it and welcome to Westfield ownership!

Thanks :) looks like I'd better pay my membership soon .... I will have loads of questions I'm sure ..

good luck with your car mate - enjoy the carb action :-)