Speed series road going class 1A tyres

James Spicer

Hi, just wondering what tyres other people run in road going class of the speed series. Cheers

I'm on toyo t1r... probably been on stickier tyres but the rules changed after I bought them.....

C'est la vie

James

The more serious tend to go on Kumho V70A, Avon ZZR, Toyo R888 or perhaps Yoko AO48 (each in one of the softer compounds available).

But it's fine to turn up with whatever you've got (providing they're road legal)  --  you'll have great fun anyway.

HTH

Fantastic stuff thank's for your help. I thought I'd read in the the regs that you had to run list 1A tyres in the road going class which I was a bit worried about as the back end seems to be a bit more spritely than my last car. Got quite a bit of work to do over the coming month, aiming to have it ready for Shelsley but I might pop along and spectate at Lydden to sus it out.

Will I automatically be put into a specific class when I register? How does it work?

James

Toyo R888 for me

are they not 1b

If you search for msa tyre list you will get a full list.

You can now use list 1B tyres in all Speed Series classes, as far as I am aware, and provided they are "E" marked (ie road legal in this Country).

It used not to be so, but the classes in which list 1A tyres used to be required were very poorly supported in recent years.

You can now use list 1B tyres in all Speed Series classes, as far as I am aware, and provided they are "E" marked (ie road legal in this Country).

It used not to be so, but the classes in which list 1A tyres used to be required were very poorly supported in recent years.

You are right Stephen.

What has happened is that around the country almost all the clubs now allow competitors to use 1B tyres, So as they are quicker, no one runs 1A anymore.

are they not 1b

If you search for msa tyre list you will get a full list.

You can now use list 1B tyres in all Speed Series classes.

Cool, 

ill be bring my other road tyres as well just in case of punctures etc 

Link to the MSA Tyre list 

Excellent news, was dreading running 1A's again, I'm glad I checked. The Westfield owners seem to be a helpful bunch, looking forward to my first event and will order a set if A048's or 888's :)

Cheers

James

You are correct there Stephen, with regards to being poorly supported in recent years

I think you will find, if you look back historicaly, the lack of support for these classes eminated from the introduction of target times

In the previous years A, C and to a lesser extent B and D were very well supported. With a considerable number of drivers competing in several events in there genuine road going cars

When you know look at the machinery in C and D, I'm not sure what the way forward is for the owners of roadgoing, factory / self build cars within the SS

James

your enquiry was about 1a tyres

Nick,David, Stephenh and Tom have answered well with helpful tips 

Dont worry about needing other tyres , most of us use the 1b tyres in all conditions

For info

It was the MSA who allowed 1b tyres into std road classes, which made using 1a tyres uncompetetive, so most changed to 1b tyres 

This is the reason why few continued to use 1a tyres and why we now allow 1b tyres in all Westfield classes. Also most trackday (and a lot of std road/factory cars ) are now running on list 1b tyres

The novice classes(A+B) and the novice championship are all very well supported this year and all seem to be relishing the challenge of beating each others times throughout each event.

Most of the novices are achieving massive improvements at events

Wherever possible , the more experienced competitors will help with tips on lines and set-up.

Look forward to seeing you competing

Stu

You are correct there Stephen, with regards to being poorly supported in recent years

I think you will find, if you look back historicaly, the lack of support for these classes eminated from the introduction of target times

In the previous years A, C and to a lesser extent B and D were very well supported. With a considerable number of drivers competing in several events in there genuine road going cars

When you know look at the machinery in C and D, I'm not sure what the way forward is for the owners of roadgoing, factory / self build cars within the SS

Well I'm not going to get drawn into a debate about target times!! We done that one to death already.

However, I suspect that IF someone wants to have a go with a fairly "standard" road-going Westfield, the chances are quite high that they will qualify as a novice, so the answer to your question is simple: they will enter the new classes A or B depending on their engine size.

Edited to add: must type quicker, Woodman got there before me. Typical, he's always quicker than me! :laugh:  :laugh:

Mine is a 2.0 xe with supposedly 200hp so not sure where I will be put??

James

as far as the Westfield speed series is concered it will depend on-

1) Are you a novice ? If so you can enter B providing you have a syncro gearbox

2)If you are not a novice or  If you have a dogbox or seqential then it would be D or F

However

'On the day' at an event you would probably run in the ' road modified kit class' .

The regulations provided by each organising club will specify the criteria for each class tho.(eg some require a full windscreen for road classes)

They are available to download from the speed series page on the main WSCC website, so have a look thro the regs of events you would like to do to see which class suits best. It can appear to be a bit of a minefield so dont worry about asking on here if you are unsure.

Stu