What is the acceptable price of Porsche motoring.

iain m

I will not enter this conversation if we are adding costs of upgrades into the cost of ownership.

Shhhhhhhhhhh Norman please

I did say I wouldn't join in, and I won't

tonight.....

Gotta say, the boxster,the 993 c2 targa, the 996 c4s and the 2 997 c2S run by mates of mine, all ran without a penny more than servicing/depreciation (although these certainly weren't cheap).

Ben

When I owned my Xtreme, it cost me annual servicing and a few front wheel bearings, uprights and tyres. Everything else were upgrades, which in all honesty probably didn't really need to be done or add any value to the car (close ratio box, Quaiffe ATB, 4 pots, ali rad, hoses, cam, wheels etc, etc).

Have owned the Exige for 8 months and I've had to replace the clutch :cry:

OK, it's morning now. Including the initial £13,000 for the car (1992) I must have easily spent £50,000. I've done all the labour except for the engine upgrade which was £16,000.

Stupid, I know but I've had and continue to have a lot of fun and big smiles with it. I've stopped now. It's normal maintenance only. It's 3000 mile interval oil and filter change now costs about £100 just for the oil.

Norman, that should make my engine change and carbon bits more than acceptable to the Mem. phew!! 

but i'm still not saying anything

I had an old 911 that I owned for two years and only cost me a clutch (diy fit), sold it for £500 more than I bought it for and it would be worth a few £k more than that now!  It was 25 years old and I sold it to buy a characterless 5 year old S2000 that bored me to death.  Mistake.

I'm now running a Cayman S and for sure it's a bit costly on fuel, tyres etc but it's also a great bit of kit to drive and remarkably practical and easy to live with for a car of this type.  

They do have a reputation for engine issues but it's over exaggerated, it does happen for sure but although it's fairly rare it's notable simply because because of the reputation that Porsche has for being a supercar that you can use every day.  I think people upgrade from their A3/Z4/350Z etc and expect to get the better performance at no cost at all, when anything goes wrong it's toys out of pram time.  

Ask anyone who has gone from any other "exclusive" brand to Porsche and they will tell you it's the most straightforward car they've ever owned.

And my wipers work fine  :d

My last Porsche service cost  me £1200......Not really unexpected,however,did charge £14 for a small spring which stopped the door mirror vibrating at high speed (how did they know ?) and £42 for a damaged rear wheel nut ! Currently searching for a 997....loads out there but trying to find a good one is harder than you`d think.I think £3000 per year is pretty acceptable....find a good aircooled model,if you don`t mind older styling and it`ll probably go up more than that in value. :yes:

For unacceptable running costs try.....AUDI A8...with depreciation I think my mates cost him about £13000 per year!!Mental :down:

You have to be very picky buying Porsche 996's. I was pedantic but mine still had a couple of minor issues. Nothing major.

996 C4S tip - paid £20.500 - stunning car. Owned her for 18 months.

Costs:

4 x tyres (really good Falkens, and  not silly money Bridgeys) £600 (Bridgeys = £1200)

Service major - £240

Air con leaking pipe repair - lab and parts £140 ish.

I had the stone chipped nose resprayed at £220

Nothing else.

I sold her for  £18,500 so lost £2k in depreciation - 996's took a big hit a couple of years back. 

Only worry was that the manifold bolts were all badly corroded and that meant at least £600 in labour looming - they normally snap and need removing.

For what I spent, I am happy to have experience owning what is a fabulous supercar. A turbo would have been the next logical step but I hankered for the Westie.

I found the prices and attitude of the local official Porsche dealer/garage to be surprisingly superb.

There are a lot of dogs out there where people have bought used Porsches and skimped on the servicing costs they could not afford.  

You are of the same mind set as me.."

Looks pretty reasonable price to pay.............

4 tyres for Westie fitted and balanced......£600. Etc.etc.

Reconsidering 993 cabriolet......Money in the bank...just love the front of the 996 & 997.