Is there a thread on here about how to identify your diff?

TAFKARM

I've been searching for weeks (exaggeration) and can't find one!

Im trying to identify my diff but arent sure how to go about it. Its Ford. 

What should I be looking for?

There may be a little ali tab on one of the casing bolts that will give you the ratio, other than that any chance of a photo?

ed to add that this a Sierra LSD

accident75.jpg

I think there is a way of working it out. Basically measuring the number of rotations of the input shaft to the number of rotations of the output shafts (wheels). Some more knowledgeable person will be along in a while to explain it further no doubt. 

To tell if you have an LSD, lift the car and spin a wheel, if the opposite tyre spins in the same direction you have an LSD if it spins in the opposite direction then its open.

"Is there a thread on here about how to identify your diff?"

If there wasn't before, there is now.

I think Russ is trying to ID the diff not determine the ratio, I only mentioned the tab as it may have more info than the ratio.

ed to add that I'm assuming it's a Ford, which, of course, it may not be.

To put this into a little more context. Im trying to establish what diff I have currently so I can upgrade to an LSD at some point in the hopefully near future.

Appreciate a photo would help no end, but I didn't take one!

Rhett - if it IS an LSD, it's knackering because it will always spin an inside wheel rather than go sideways.

Norm - Im certain it's a ford of some kind. Mostly because it has a ford badge engraved onto the casing :d There is a tab, which I'm unable to read.

Am I correct that there are two different sierra diffs? Does it even matter which casing I have?

Russ, there are probably more than 2 but I think we use the Sierra open and the Sierra 4x4 LSD. As far as I know the picture is a 4x4 LSD. It is an LSD anyway.

I'm not too sure so wait for an expert...

7" or 7.5"  If a wide 10mm approx spacer fitted in the chassis mount then it will be a 7" diff that you have.

Ford LSds were I think all fluid so likley to be knackered by now. Fit and forget Quaiffe ATB is the answer

Russ, might be worth scutinising the tab a little more closely.

They can be obscured a bit by oxidisation, but a gentle rub over with a pad might just expose the lightly embossed figures underneath. Can be difficult to get close enough to see properly, though 

Cheers guys, I'll do some digging, get some photos, decipher the tab and resurrect the thread accordingly!

Fit and forget Quaiffe ATB is the answer

^^^^ Best option.

Are the drive shafts bolted or push in? if push in, it's likely to be a 7"