tow car insurance woes and need to tow this weekend :(

JeffC

Hi all, to cut a long story short Ive been running on a traders policy for the last 17 years but last week after calling up for a random inquiry about towing, my trade policy insurer has basically told me they will not insure me to tow my car to a trackday they tell me I have been insured while towing cars for business use ie to and from garages when Ive collected and delivered but not for race days/ trackdays that sort of thing , I tried to argue my corner explaining that the car on the trailer is insured separate as is the trailer but they are having none of it and have sent me a letter wanting details of the car I plan to tow with with a copy of a insurance document  or they will cancel my insurance  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:

so now Im in a predicament of I need to get my cay car to Anglesey this coming Sunday and do not have a car or insurance cover  so other than cancelling the trackday  I really need to find a towcar fit a towbar  and get it insured. I think the chances of buying the car i want to keep as a family car in the  spec I want is going to be slim as I only have a few days to do it,  option 2 is try and rent something which im guessing will be covered by the hire co insurance? do they cover to tow??or option 3 see if I can get someone to tow the car down keep me company drink loads of my beer and have a good blast round the track on MOnday   or option 3  try and beg steal or borrow a towcar which is insured any driver which would cover me or I could  insure it separately use for the weekend and then put my new insurance on hold till I can find the right car. My Mrs is banging on about having our own car to keep (she has had 7 different cars this year) so its prob not a bad idea to have our own car just timing is **** at such short notice as I dont want to compromise on the spec of car Im looking for .  

as Ive never had to take out private car insurance and at some point Im going to have to, who is the best company to go through ? are these comparison websites a rip off ? any recommendations?  

I currently have my wife's car and (in common with many others on here) the Westfield with A-Plan. See the thread in the sponsors section. 

You have to speak to the Thatcham branch for club discounts. 

They were very helpful when I had to sort out some short term insurance to deal with a deceased relative's car.

Another option could be to buy a cheap 4x4 with a towbar for now and sell it in the winter? Assuming we're not still in winter.

Of course, what your wife is really looking for is a certain old man's 5 series? No? Damn :p

Would it make a difference if you were driving the car to Anglessey for a potential customer to buy;-)

Jeff,

short term solution would be to hire a van for the weekend with a towbar, I know a guy who competes in only a few events each year and prefers to go that route, everything then must be covered by the hire agreement.

Would it make a difference if you were driving the car to Anglessey for a potential customer to buy;-)

ha yeh I thought about that but they have been sneaky and checked on my website and now know the reg of my caterham, they also saw my Merc Sprinter racevan that I had insured with them and saxo racecar that i briefly insured so I could tax it and now want written confirmation that I no longer own those vehicles as neither would have been insured as they were both modified! 

anyway I have just provisionally cancelled the policy with them just waiting to see how much they will give me back as im only 3 months into a new policy,  first call i made have found another trade policy that will cover everything and even motorbikes which my last policy didnt. 

• Like 1

Is there not short term insurance for 1-30 days? Temp cover dot com??? Only because it's a well timed advert with a catchy tune!

Hope you get sorted Jeff - these things are annoying, but at least it appears you have ended up in a better situation because of it :t-up:

Hope you get sorted Jeff - these things are annoying, but at least it appears you have ended up in a better situation because of it :t-up:

cheers Adam, bit concerning that the last 10 years I havnt been covered when ive been going to and from tracks though!!

Jeff, It's been a long time, but I used to negotiate the motor traders policy plus all the other policies for a medium size group (2 large dealerships, 3 other workshops, 9 forecourts and the busiest conveyor car wash in England.

I ensured the traders policy covered everything the directors did in the company vehicles.

Looks like you've got a policy sorted but in those (OK, it was 35 years ago) Zurich were the kings.

Cornhill brought out a US style policy called Shock Absorber which was based on the area of the premises. We saved about 50% on the Zurich policy. Cornhill had 2 dealerships totally written off by fire (not us), lost a small fortune and wouldn't renew any of the policies. Back to Zurich the following year.

yeh pretty much sorted Norm without the additional expense of having to take out personal car insurance and new company is a few hundred quid cheaper than old one. 

just need to find a tow car now.  :d

I've got a Fiat Marea 1.9 tdi Estate, circa 1999 with a tow bar which you can have if you want to collect it. It's still on UK plates.

It'll cost more than it's worth to get it registered here so will be going for scrap next month when the insurance runs out.