Bloodhound SSC

Ian Podmore

You've got to admire the engineering that is going into the Bloodhound SSC.

Loads of information available at http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/

F1 engine for auxiliary power.... Typoon RR jet engine to get it to 350 mph..... And a rocket to get it to 1,000mph plus !

Bonkers and British.

I think the F1 engine is used to power the fuel pump.

Gulp...

No the rocket fuel pump is separate powered by the Cosworth engine. - I have seen it when I visited Bloodhound on a PH day.

Cosworth Group is supplying the auxiliary power unit for BLOODHOUND SSC in the shape of its Formula OneTM engine - the CA2010, which has proved to be the most reliable in sport today. This 95kg, 750+bhp unit will provide not only essential hydraulic services to the car but will also drive the rocket oxidizer pump which will supply 800 litres of High Test Peroxide (HTP) to the rocket in just 20 seconds - equivalent to 40 litres - over 9 gallons - every second

Ahh I see what you meant now, my mistake :blush:

This shows we can still do top end manufacturing and design in the UK and hopefully inspire some of the young people to think of engineering as a career. Too many think you have to be a footballer or celeb to do something wonderful instead of pushing bounderies elsewhere.

I remember having Thrust one as a display at a place I worked and that was huge but very blocky in design. Bloodhound seems even bigger but so slippery in shape, roll on the day they smash the record.

• Like 1

And good old Rolls Royce is now helping with the engines I believe. Lets hope they get the 1000mph and more.

Bob  :d

High tech engineering is what we're all about. Hence why all but one (or is it two) F1 cars are made in the UK.

Things move on. Once making a set of cutlery was high tec. So the directors of the cutlery manufacturers sat in the boardrooms in luxury  swigging and scoffing the profits. 

Then one day all the orders dried up as the same stuff was being made in the far east for a fraction of the price.

The Chinese can make as many widgets as they want. Precision engineering for low volume stuff is our game now.

High tech engineering is what we're all about. Hence why all but one (or is it two) F1 cars are made in the UK.

And I believe all or most of the Indy (CART) cars, or at least they were.

Norman - It's two now I think. Ferrari and Sauber. Although some teams do work at TMG (ex-Toyota F1 facility) in Germany, but aren't based there.

the rocket oxidizer pump which will supply 800 litres of High Test Peroxide (HTP) to the rocket in just 20 seconds - equivalent to 40 litres - over 9 gallons - every second

And the guys with crossflows think they've got a thirsty engine :laugh:

SSC is such a fantastic BRITISH achievment, as was Thrust I've seen that a couple of times at different museums/shows :love:  

If not already been, worth going to Coventry Transport Museum to see Thust and Thrust SSC

It's free to get in and lots of other interesting exhibits.

Not quite, the F1 engine IS the fuel pump... :cool:

I feel an upgrade coming on :d