PC issues.....Doing my head in!

Buzz Billsberry

Hi all

My PC pushiung the evelope to the point it may become airbourne!

Basically

for starters when Outlook is loaded the emails come through in dribs and draps

on the internet its for ever saying ooops page you are looking for can not be found despite been on it lots of times

the final one is

Internet Explorer can not display the website.... despite been on many times before.

I don't know if i've accidently clicked on something etc to upset the settings

Im running Windows XP home edition 2002 service pack 3

its an INTEL ®  core (TM2) duo CPU

E7200 @2.53GHz  3.25 gb of RAM

Hope you can help

Buzz

Buzz, I'd start at one end and work towards the other.

Firstly is the internet connection good and continuous? There are speed checking sites which will give you up and download speeds.

Secondly, do you do regular maintenance on the PC. Do you defrag the disc regularly, do you run Ccleaner or something like it from time to time? Not that these are likely to be the problem.

I'll leave it for the experts to offer more and better advice as without going into the bowels of the PC and/or router I'll get everyone, including me, confused.

Quite often this sort of thing can be down to your broadband line getting its knickers in a twist (sorry for the technical jargon).

I find a restart often helps. Remove power from the router by physically removing the power lead then unplugging the phone line from the router. Restart your PC, and while it is booting up, reconnect the router phone line and then apply power again.

Good luck!

If the other programs are running fine, I'm with Brian, something to do with broadband or modem / router.

What Brian and Mem Sec said...

Are you wireless or wired to your Broadband router?

Buzz, this has been happening to a lot of people since Microsoft changed Hotmail to be Outlook, there was a discussion on Blatchat recently but apart from a guy from MS suggesting clearing the cache/history etc there wasn't much help. 

Persevere by clicking on the refresh icon after the error first comes up and it will eventually get through although sometimes it then says 'we can't connect to Outlook right now please try again later...'

Power off/on sometimes helps but I think that is mostly because there is then a gap before you try again so it would probably have worked if you just tried 4/5 minutes later ;)

BC thread here... http://www.blatchat.com/t.asp?id=228871

if it's loading slowly, the culprit is your computer

Now there's an educated comment.  :cry:

if you suspect your broadband and you are with virgin check their service status.

when i was having problems with mine it was due to an error in the area and they gave me 2 weeks free when i complained.

Hi chaps

Thanks for your help

I'm hard wired to the router and I'm with o2 broadband I've generally had no problems with them to be honest but obviuosly that doesn't mean it won't be them. I generally get no breaks in my connections and I do regular maintenance I don't suffer these problems with my works laptop (connect wirelessly) or my ipad ...so i guess this is my I sort of suspect my pc.

I will try the suggestion that you guys have suggested and report back

cheers chaps

Buzz

Hi, is this outlook that used to hotmail or 'proper' outlook? I'm guessing its hotmail?

What browser are you using? Ditch them all except Firefox (stand by for a torrent of conflicting advice on that one). Clear your browser cache and temp files.

Get ccleaner - free download, just search for it.

If it's all working OK on other devices it is definitely your computer, not your broadband speed - how old is the PC? Does it creak a little running other programmes? If so you could try defrag and clearing away as much old stuff as you can.

Hi all

Its Outlook express I'm running and the PC may be 5 years old and generally does creak when using other apps etc I've down loaded Ccleaner which has definately made a difference  but I also did a connection diagnostic and it came up with this:

Windows did not detct any problems with your internet connection over HTTP and HTTPS but was not able to make a successful connection to the FTP. The most likely cause of this problem is that the firewall client running on your PC is blocking the necessary FTP Ports

further diagnostics showed the following report:

Last diagnostic run time: 05/14/13 17:38:39

Network Adapter Diagnostic Network location detection info Using home Internet connection info Redirecting user to support call

Last diagnostic run time: 05/14/13 17:38:39

Network Adapter Diagnostic Network location detection info Using home Internet connection info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com. info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com. warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established error Could not make an FTP connection.

My current fire wall is Mcafee & supplied and maintained by o2

any thoughts guys

Buzz

Well, personally I use the built in Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus on my XP desktop (similar age and spec to yours) with no problems so I'd disable the McAfee firewall and see what happens

My guru says Mcafee and Norton are the devils spawn.

He suggests AVG.

You could try and update your network adapter? If that doesnt work, Then Disable McAfee, try the FTP site, if it works, it's McAfee. Remove it and replace with Kaspersky Internet Suite, you'll get a good deal on EBay. Don't rely on windows firewall, it's rubbish, as is Microsoft essentials; most kids could get past both