First question from a couple of new members

mikew123

Hi all

Two new members saying hello.

We are building a Mazda SDV 1.8 Mk1

First question that may be obvious concerns the brake master cylinder.

In the manual the operating fork is the same as the clutch master cylinder, however, we have two different ones.

The cluthch operating fork looks as if it is pressed from brass sheet.

The brake operating fork has been machined from a solid piece of brass and has a threaded hole.

This is the same thread as the brake cylinder push rod.

It looks as if this has replaced the operating fork as fitted to the clutch cylinder but I can't quite get the split pin through the clevis pin.

Leaving off one of the washers would give enough room, would this be OK.

Also, the clutch master cylinder did not have any nuts fitted to the push rod.

Does anyone know what thread this is so we can go and buy a couple.

On a different note in reference to Cerroli's post re: a BBQ, this would be an excellent way to meet fellow Westfield owners.

Where abouts in Birmingham are you, we are in Edgbaston.

Mike and Jane

Mike & Jane, may I welcome you to club and the forum. I can't help but can assure you someone called Smokey Mow will be along to answer your questions. If not Smokey, many others can help, but Smokey is the Jedi Knight of MX5 conversions.

Welcome to the club and enjoy!

Not sure if kugawestie maybe able to help he has an mc5 powered beast If memory serves me correctly

Thanks for joining and welcome!

Fret ye not - as said above, Smokey-Wan KnowAllBe and his protege, Darth Kuga, will be along shortly to assist, although they are far from the only two who can assist. :)

This thread in the FAQ Section will help you too!

• Like 1

Welcome and they are still coming honest, won't be long now.

Bob :d

My clevis forks are different as well, and has not caused me any problems.

From memory they are M8 threads, 13mm spanner

Welcome by the way and good luck with the build!

My advice would be to run a build thread, I did and it helped having people watch and advise as I went to avoid common hiccups

It you have a look on my build thread (linked in my signature below) you should find a photo of the pedals and forks

Just like to say hello, don't know nothing about the Mazda stuff but hello anyway, your not to far from me so maybe see you around

• Like 1

Welcome Mie & Jane :yes: you've come to the right place searching for advice and I hope you'll find all the answers you need here :)

First question that may be obvious concerns the brake master cylinder.
In the manual the operating fork is the same as the clutch master cylinder, however, we have two different ones.
The cluthch operating fork looks as if it is pressed from brass sheet.
The brake operating fork has been machined from a solid piece of brass and has a threaded hole.
This is the same thread as the brake cylinder push rod.
It looks as if this has replaced the operating fork as fitted to the clutch cylinder but I can't quite get the split pin through the clevis pin.
Leaving off one of the washers would give enough room, would this be OK.

Once you get a bit further into the build you'll learn to look upon the build manual more as a "guide" rather than a set of aseembly instructions. With most tasks its a case of a bit of fettling here, a bend there or a few extra washers under that :d

With the master cylinder clevis's I guess I was lucky as mine are both the same but I see no problem with just fitting the washer at the end where the split pin goes and leaving it out at the opposite end.

Also, the clutch master cylinder did not have any nuts fitted to the push rod.
Does anyone know what thread this is so we can go and buy a couple.

Pretty sure as Gary (kuga) say's these are M8

Any questions ask away :t-up: all my build photos can be found at www.mx5westfield.co.uk

Hi Mike and Jane,

Just saying hello and welcome to you both.

I'm not familiar with the Mazda versions but if you get stuck and need help or assistance then let me know as I am local to you (Tamworth)

Martyn

Hi

Thanks for a nice welcome

I've omitted the washer from under the head of the clevis pin on the brake cylinder and just have one under the split pin and it looks OK.

It seems that the clutch master cylinder we have got my not be standard as the thread is not M8.

Jane will be going to the factory tomorrow and hopefully they can rectify the problem.

I've found Gary's build thread a usefull read and I'll have a read of your's smokey.

Many thanks for your input, hope you don't get too fed up of what I think will be a lot of stupid questions.

Mike

It seems that the clutch master cylinder we have got my not be standard as the thread is not M8.

it'll most likely be 5/16" UNF then :)

Don't be afraid to ask, I wasn't!

Have you offered up the fibreglass tunnel panel by the clutch pedal? There is an inbuilt footrest in it and I had to shorten my clevis pin to allow my foot to get on it. This also meant I had to shorten the brake as well so the pedals are level.

Also it is well worth fitting pedal stops on the clutch and accelerator. There are threaded bosses welded into the chassis for this

Don't be afraid to ask, I wasn't!

yes this ^^^^ :yes:

Nobody could ask as many questions as Gary did :d but I've taught him well :p