It's Friday, So...

Captain Colonial

...here's today's weird and scary history lesson on radioactive products you used to be able to purchase. :o  :suspect:  :ghostface:

Click-click-click-click...

Thorium is still around you - when you fly.  It's used as a high-temperature hardener in magnesium in jet engines.  Detectable with a meter but so low level that you could probably stick a piece in your ear for 6 months and come to no harm.  Another useless factoid for a Friday.

Did anyone see the programme about Marie Curie?

I recorded it and watched it last night.

Long story short for those that didn't see it.

When the French decided to give her a state funeral and lay her remains in the national crematorium, they sent a team in radioactive suits to dig her up as they thought she would be highly radioactive. (Radium has a half life of 1600 years). However her remains were no more radioactive than a typical French cellar. They then realised her premature death was due to the x-rays she had used during the great war.

Anyway a truly amazing women.

When I was a systems tech there were many radioactive bits and pieces, the worst was radioactive paint in a glass panel, often it would get cracked and the disposal team was insane!

Doramad toothpaste produced from 1940 to 45 in Germany , I would have thought tooth hyegene was about the least of there worries  :t-up:

Radioactive Durex could explain how a few of the breeds we see today came about :o  

Nutex condoms! 

Use one and hey presto your nuts are ex nuts hence the name  :laugh:

• Like 1

Anyone remember Trimphones, they had luminous dials and were very mildly radioactive containing Tritium gas. Our stores orders had be ordered in small quantities of no more than 10 in a box and the engineers were only allowed to carry 2 Trimpnones on their vans at any one time.   There were only 3 colours available so not many customers got the colour they wanted when the engineer fitted the phone line.    Ring a bell anyone?

Anyone remember Trimphones, they had luminous dials and were very mildly radioactive containing Tritium gas. Our stores orders had be ordered in small quantities of no more than 10 in a box and the engineers were only allowed to carry 2 Trimpnones on their vans at any one time. There were only 3 colours available so not many customers got the colour they wanted when the engineer fitted the phone line. Ring a bell anyone?

This sounds similar to the things we had. A few times we had to call in the cleanup team.

Bernie....what a boring subject (in your van again ?)But I do remember them......really COOOOOOOL then.We had a grotty green one,however,the ring tone was wicked..eveyone at school was trying to copy it & some were really spot-on.

If one was picked up at a bootsale would it be compatible now.......?

When I worked in Brownfield land insurance and development in the 1990's I was working on a former strategic fuel storage depot in devon polluted with TEL (Tetra Etyhl Lead) and luminescent dials from old aircraft.  Protocol used to be to burn the dash boards of ex-aircraft and rake out the ash spreading the radioactive stuff all over the shop.

One day a team  were surveying with a geiger counter and kept getting readings all over the shop whenever i was behind them... turned out my rolex watch from the 1940's was setting it off!!!

• Like 1

Graham, if i was name dropping I would have said "one of my Rolexes" or is it "roli"????:)  as I have one from the 40's, one from the 70's and one from the 2000's....  :yes:

OOOOOOH James you are awful ,but I like you.

That reminds me....years ago Dick Emery lived near me.LOL

Do you have three arms ?I seem to remember only two.....or do you wear them all on one arm ?

hehehehehe - I collect watches Graham - mostly from dead relatives unfortunately  :no:   I wish i had bought them but they belonged to my grandparents and my Dad..  

anyway back on topic - there is radioactive stuff all around us in every day life :-)