Number Plate

Dave Evans

Nope, but we once had a cople of PCs in a squad car do a slow cruise through the pub car park on a meet night years ago; the plate less cars were the only ones they had a word with and the "Ive just hit an obstruction and knocked the plate off" didn't wash much with them.

did they all hit the same thing  :p

my old plate was a pee take it was about 40x200mm and was glad to remove it :p

The funny thing was, I followed them into the car park, but they hadn't noticed my lack of front plate. (Deliberate, used to keep behind a seat etc), but the first plate less car they came to was one that had genuinely knocked his plate loose on the way out that evening.

Mines very small and so is my front plate  :)

This one is same size as earlier on but without the fancy border.

Never been stopped in the UK.

accident227.jpg

Not that anyone's bothered or ever going to pull you, but in my understanding. A square number plate as shown on Norman's car is illegal also, and the only exemption is for imported cars?

Norman is more of an export :)

Secure it with velcro then you can have interchangeable full and 3/4 size plates.  You can also remove on track days to limit drag  :p  :d

Are you sure Steve?

Square plates are perfectly legal at the rear (see virtually every Defender/Disco/4x4) and, AIUI, provided they also meet the dimensional requirements at the front too.  Are you getting mixed up with the permitted display of slightly smaller plates on imports IF a regular one won't fit?  Norman's, however is a stick on...

Still nobody with a story of getting pulled for small plates?

Off the top of my head, I don't recall anyone reporting back on here about being pulled with small plates. I have seen it on Blatchat a few times though.

Theres small plates and then there's small plates though. As long as you don't take the wee wee I suspect you will be fine unless you got your self in the position of a copper giving you a close look over looking for something, anything, to pull you on.

Its possible to go just slightly smaller - fitting the width of the nose cone better while keeping the letter/number size and spacing as close to correct as can be got. In which case, most BiB seem to take the practical view; you've tried to stick with the spirit of the law if not the letter.

Yes agree with keeping the letters stock and as close to full size as possible. I had a full size plate last year but angled to stop it grounding and breaking and the MOT man warned me it should be vertical. I can only try my best.....

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that a front square plate was illegal. Unless on an import.

Told to me by an MOT tester.

Having said that I'm struggling to give proof so may be talking rubbish.

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that a front square plate was illegal. Unless on an import.

Told to me by an MOT tester.

Having said that I'm struggling to give proof so may be talking rubbish.

Apart from the obvious (insurance,licence etc)The square number plate rules is all I know and you`re correct.

I think ?.........no.....you`re right.

I don't think that is correct - AFAIK there's no distinction made between front and rear plate specifications (beyond the background colour)?  Anyone got a link that confirms one way or the other?

It's funny, not looked at MOT docs yet, but just looking at the general DVLA type docs, there isn't a great deal on plate size.

Material characteristics, yes. Type font and letter/number size and spacing yes. But other than saying the rectangular type are sometimes used on the rear of cars, can't see anything so far about the front.

I have found the bit about smaller plates on non-homologated imports, but still doesn't mention double row plates on the front.

Will have a look on MOT site!

I don't think that is correct - AFAIK there's no distinction made between front and rear plate specifications (beyond the background colour)?  Anyone got a link that confirms one way or the other?

This is the impression so far...