Number Plate

Dave Evans

Current front number plate is a stick on across the nose cone, and looks a mess.  Would like to replace it with one 

fitted under the grill.  The standard 520x111 is far too big. I can get a 229x76 which would look and fit nice, or should I just

replace the stick on - not something I really want to do.

any ideas guys

Dave

229x76 may draw unwanted attention from the boys in blue.

A smaller size isn't legal and is a MOT failure but I have this one and haven't had any issues with the police yet and fit a full size at MOT time.

It's a 12x3 from http://bit.ly/ZPrppD

BCB6561C-B003-4E3F-AB4F-608088D7EEB4-624

My MOT tester is a very fair chap however is a stickler for correct size number plate. He said if he turns a blind eye and the plod pull you as you are just leaving his premises gripping a new MOT certificate, the next thing would be VOSA breathing down his neck about testing standards.

I run a full size plate for the simple reason it doesn't give the plod an excuse to pull you. Even though I am, like most of us a law abiding citizen and fully legal, I just can't be bothered with the hastle. I got pulled many times on bikes, the majority of the officers were OK but come were just total naughty men just out to wind you up.

I don't think stick ons across the nose cone are strictly legal, they can't be read by ANPR either.

Sorry to contradict but stick on's can be read- there was a thread on here when someone was caught speeding by camera, and posted the photo up. They were done for speeding but IIRC the plate was not mentioned.

You're right about them not being legal though. In theory they could be, but nobody makes one with (I think) an 'E' number which it needs to be legal.

The legal issue of different plates has been discussed many times over on this forum to save a similar discussion repeating itself here is a link to the previous topic and Dean's post which Doug mentions above.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/36757-stick-on-front-number-plates/?p=361767

• Like 1

Sorry to contradict but stick on's can be read- there was a thread on here when someone was caught speeding by camera, and posted the photo up. They were done for speeding but IIRC the plate was not mentioned.

You're right about them not being legal though. In theory they could be, but nobody makes one with (I think) an 'E' number which it needs to be legal.

Yep, that would be me. My 5 points and £170 fine for the speeding offence tells you that there is no problem for the cameras reading a stick on plate on the nose cone.

Fair enough, but a plod told me they could not be read, suppose it depends on the height and position of the camera as to whether a reliable id can be made

• Like 1

Legality of plates isn't just about making them readable by speed and ANPR cameras .. cameras are designed to read plates, not the other way around. There are a number of criteria for the BS for plates including size, shape, font, spacing, reflect-ability, etc. Rest assured it is a hit and miss if you get stopped by plod because he/she feels that your plate cannot be read by their camera..

I have had a "full sized one" since I bought my car 8 years ago  :t-up: 

Not strictly true   ??? 

Has had to be replaced about 5 times so far   :blush:

Keep hitting it on stationary objects :( 

At least it's legal and no problems from the boys in blue :)  

I think it's less of an offence to not even have a front plate as by using an illegal one you are deliberately comiting an offence where if you don't have one it could just have fell off. Asking to be pulled though.

I have a full size stick on plate on my nose and think a police man would be having a very bad day to pull you for it. Just stick a proper plate on for the test.

• Like 1

Agree that the front plate is a problem. If you look on the Stoneleigh photos you'll see that mine (3rd one down, black nose and bonnet with a yellow stripe) is reduced in width so it sits more comfortably on the car.

Rory's Dad

What a can of worms :bangshead:

If the old stick on plate comes off easy with no colour fade I will fit

a std plate under grill.

I've no wish to attract attention from the MOTer, DVLA, or the boys in blue. 

Thanks guys :yes:

That's what I've done, just use a standard one and no one can say anything.

There's lots of "asking to be pulled" comments, but has anyone on here actually been pulled for a small front plate on a Westie?