Plasti-dip wheels - silver to black pics

chrisw_82

Hi chaps,

Just thought I'd post these up, as I'm especially pleased with the results! Wanted to give black wheels a try, but wasn't 100% sure I'd like the look so I've done them with Plasti-dip. (for those who haven't seen the Youtube vids, it's tough rubberised paint that peels off when you're done!)

Turns out I quite like it! :) :

BEFORE:

th_2013-05-06122020.jpg

AFTER:

th_2013-05-06180847.jpg

DURING:

th_2013-05-06141758.jpg

Let's see how they last, else I might be doing this: 

Apparently it's pretty durable though :yes:

nice... im really interested in this stuff. was it from a can? i was thinking of seing what my nosecone would look like a different colour

I have a set of shabby wheels that may look half decent after coat of that stuff

This could be a good way to re paint my landrover

Do you spray it on? and can it go on GRP?

Looks good, I was going to do this to a spare set of wheels I have for my Focus ST. 

How many coats did you give them?

...and how many cans did you use for all four wheels?

Also, just read something about having to prep metal surfaces before using this stuff? Is that what you did?

just spent half an hour watching youtube vids. may be a cheap way to paint the car. i have always liked matt black

from what ive seen it can but i dont know about large surfaces of grp. The BMW guys use it loads for thinkgs like the kidney grills and the like. Also ive seen several show cars done with it on youtube etc. where they wanted a colour change.

the larger sections were almost always done with a air drvien systems and by professionals whereas the smaller bits ive seen done by us normal people from cans. i dont remember seing any surface prep being done other than making sure it was very clean. i guess they would use some of that stuff bodyshops use to get rid of any residues/oils/etc

You only had to ask.... :--)

IMG_2829.jpg

339.jpg

I know I'm biased but I much prefer them black, with the blue car, and the black hood.

nice... im really interested in this stuff. was it from a can? i was thinking of seing what my nosecone would look like a different colour

Yes it was from a can, the black stuff sells out really quickly (they go on eBay for twice the price when there's no stock!) I got mine here:

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cfm?Plastidip_Aerosol_Spray_-_400ml&stage=3&colour=Black,Blue,Clear,Yellow,White,Red,Green,Orange,Brown&pid=PDL-0009

Yes & yes, but as dombanks said I think larger surfaces are better sprayed with a gun, same as normal paint really.

Looks good, I was going to do this to a spare set of wheels I have for my Focus ST. 

How many coats did you give them?

About 3 coats (hard to say, by the time I'd got back to where I started it was dry already) they recommend 3-4. It's more 'peelable' when sprayed thick.

...and how many cans did you use for all four wheels?

Also, just read something about having to prep metal surfaces before using this stuff? Is that what you did?

A lot of YouTube vids only do the outer face (and some without removing the wheels!) but I wanted to do a proper job. Needed to do the inside faces too as they're on show at the front. It took 4 cans, leaving a bit spare for touch-ups etc. (Apparently it's easy to cover knocks, just blends in).

I was wondering about using this stuff to spray on the rear wings as protectors. Mask the shape I want and spray it on.

Having a a wide bodied fixed arch car buying a set of carbon look ones is proving impossible.

I'd appreciate your opinion on how good you think it would be for that purpose? 

I'd appreciate your opinion on how good you think it would be for that purpose? 

I've not tried it on a larger area, but from using it on wheels it seems to behave just like any other matt or satin spray - quite hard to get an even finish on larger areas. But heck, if it doesn't work, just peel it off!

Here's how it might look on a very large area if you aren;t careful, kind of patchy:

• Like 1

looks good but prices vary from £10.00 to £16.00 per can.

Wonderful, I'll be doing my wheels with that.

Thanks