Westfield Parts Deprtment - thank you

chris7273

It's a problem all small manufacturers have. No parts catalogue no matter if it's on paper, fiche or a computer.

We have a customer who converts van for wheel chair users. They were having production problems so I went to see their processes. One of the main problems was the sales force had one name for an item and the production people called them by a different name. I got them together to decide on names for all the different products they had that could be fitted to a vehicle.

I then got someone from the dealership seconded to them for a few weeks so they could build kits on our system for all the permutations.

At the end the sales force could easily sell using the computer, the production could order the stuff they needed or book it out if in stock for an order but, maybe most importantly of all they knew what each vehicle had fitted by part number for evermore.

I'm not sure what system Westfield use but ours could give them an integrated sales system with a bill of materials system and a very quick spec of each kit/car supplied. 

I Have been to the parts counter loads and I have nothing but good to say about them, yes there has been some supply issues like the 12 weeks for a heater, but they get even more frustrated with it than we do, must be a hard thing to do getting the stock levels right, but reading between the lines I think the parts get frustrated with the buyer, but I may be wrong, but Russ has been great with me, it got to the stage that I class him as a mate, the help and advise has been second to none, trusts be to have a wonder round the factory and look at stuff I need to. Had a sit in the s2000 it's the dogs(got to get them to take me out in it), couldn't ask for a better experience while building my car, really really good guys.

I've spent a whole working lifetime serving customers, firstly in the motor trade and then in the software business. I'm sure many on here have had the same experience.

If the customer is nice and treats me with respect I will go out of my way to help him and treat him/her with the utmost respect. Nothing can be too much trouble.

However, if the customer is rude and demands then I still serve him but that's it, nothing special.

Example was a chap come up to reception in the workshop one dinner time. I happened to be there looking for a job card. He asked if he could get a mechanic to adjust his carbs as the engine was stalling at lights. He said he didn't mind waithing the 20 minutes until 2 pm for the lads to come back from lunch.

I picked up the screwdriver under the counter and went with him to his car. I adjusted the carbs and closed the bonnet on his Jaguar. He asked how much, I just shrugged and said it was on the house.

Later that day I get a phone call. I was asked if I was the director and I confirmed. He then explained what had happened at lunchtime with his Jaguar. He was a director of a fruit and veg company nearby. They had 43 vans that needed looking after and he wanted to let us have the work.

Thou shall reap what thou sow.