Electric tyre pump

SimonT

Evening all,

So, car is all shiny, taxed and ready to go :)

Just pumped the tyres up and on the last one (luckily) my trusty twin barrel foot pump gave up (the hose broke at the crimp). So, I could go and buy another but owning four cars and two dodgy knees I thought I might go for an electric pump. My experience of these has been not great in the past (asthmatic sparrow spring to mind) so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent mains powered one please?

I'd like it for car tyres, bike tyres and those inflatable air beds. 

First drive tomorrow - see if I can do more than 300 miles this year!

Cheers

Simon

If you want to take it on journeys not sure, but I'm like you have 3 vehicles so I bought a compressor.

If it's just for the fact you want it for air beds electric pumps seem pretty slow to me but you can get air bed pumps which are like lightening but don't do tyres  :(.

Very interested in this too - although my idea spec includes being able to cope with 4x4 tyres too.

Have been toying with the idea of the RAC900, which seems to be a decent little compressor but is powered from 12v (edit: from batter terminals, not cig lighter).  Have been looking for a mains powered version - closest I can find is a Draper 03320 tankless compressor but it gets expensive by the time you add everything else on that you'd need (hoses etc).

Still debating whether to go down this route or spend a little extra and put a bigger compressor/tank under my workbench and run some pipework so that I have a convenient airline hookup just inside the front door of the garage.

Think Lidl have a 3hp 50 litre compressor on special next week for £150

I bought a similar item from aldi a few years back and apart from inflating tyres etc I have had my moneys worth out of it, got an air impact gun which has saved my bacon loads of times on various cars rusty corroded nuts and bolts plus an air blow gun is a wonderful tool. SHMBO even gets ne to blow out the filters on the bagless hoover and it works good as new again LOL

Air beds is high flow, low pressure. Tyres the other way around,low flow high pressure. So you need a different type of "compressor" . Air bed pumps are often centrifugal fans, tyre types piston compressors.

I'd recommend a small 12v tyre one, if you have a puncture kit you can ( I have a happy plugger).  then at least  attempt a road side repair and dump the spare wheel

I've got a halfords one that plugs into the cigarette lighter.  Cheap as chips and it's been going for years.

Air beds is high flow, low pressure. Tyres the other way around,low flow high pressure. So you need a different type of "compressor" . Air bed pumps are often centrifugal fans, tyre types piston compressors.

I'd recommend a small 12v tyre one, if you have a puncture kit you can ( I have a happy plugger).  then at least  attempt a road side repair and dump the spare wheel

Got a link for a happy plugger please?

Mines a Halfrauds digital job

good kit IMO uses 12v ciggy lighter thingy 

just set the pressure you want switch on and go , simples

• Like 1

I use a bike pump on mine - saves my knees and you can easy do 20psi  :yes:

Anyone tried the Halfords Power Pack 200 with Compressor & Inverter? A bit pricey but you get  the powerpack and I think the price will come down with a trade card.....

The Crafty Plugger kit is the way we used to repair tubeless tyres in the 60s. Only we used a rubber plug with some glue on it. It was quick and clean.

Sorry it was crafty plugger, happy plugger might be something else!

http://www.craftyplugger.com/

Gary , some of us drive about in our cars, so a lightweight device is nice -;p

You've not taxed yours yet.... cheeky barstool...

• Like 1

maplins do a nice little one that is very quiet and cheap.  I have 3 off them now one for each car. and due to a very slow leak on one car use it all the time. I highly recommend it.it has a long cable to plug in and pumps up quicker than a foot pump.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/dc-12v-heavy-duty-air-compressor-225095

price has gone up but look for offers

Thanks for the ideas - the Maplin one looks like the sort of thing, although I'd have prefered mains power as I'll probably only use it in the garage. I'll just buy a new air bed pump - last one sort of caught fire, emitted loads of smoke and got smelly but seemed to carry on working :laugh: . I guess an internal capacitor gave up!