Racing at Croft this weekend, 27th & 28th April

Andrew

Well, not much luck for us so far. Had a half decent damp qualifying session, got fourth in class, and not too far back. The race started, and Pete quickly got himself up into 3rd in class.. then the car started misbehaving. :(  It was understeering like a pig in right handed corners. He battled on with it, but was shown the black and white driving standards flag after a few off track excusions through the Jim Clark esses.

The lap after the black and white flag, he promptly went even wider through the Clarks, so expected the worst. Next lap, he saw the flag of much blackness!

.....only it wasn't. :cry:  We aren't sure what he'd mistaken for a black flag, but he duly came in, race over. :(

The understeer, we're putting down to a problem with the cooling. During Friday's testing and qualifying, the car has been dumping coolant into the overflow bottle, then over the left front tyre. ( I have a few pics where you can actually see it spraying under the wheel) We're hoping this is due to a badly plumbed in screen heater, so for today's race we've removed it, and have positioned the overflow on the other side into a big catch tank.

A few pics, (Sorry Adam, didn't get to see any Mazdas, was a bit busy with stuff.. I'm sure you know how it is on a race day.)

Mark's maroon Westy, Pete's Honda, (with Chris Snell's Evo behind) and Phil's blue Westy.

DSC_5634c_zpsb5959d1e.jpg

DSC_5649c_zpsf6ceb2f0.jpg

DSC_5721c_zpsc164ad69.jpg

DSC_5708c_zps36b23359.jpg

DSC_5547c_zps7c2c107f.jpg

DSC_5696c_zps9f1c425e.jpg

The understeer, we're putting down to Jeff C s influence !

this is what I expected to see  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

this is what I expected to see  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Well it's only started understeering since you had your paws on the steering wheel. ;)

actually I said to Pete I noticed it understeerd from the complex up to the hairpin when I through it hard into the right hander, a bit of water sploshing around would prob make sense,

Well, the bad luck continued today.. :(  Our fix on the cooling system didn't work. The car blew it's coolant out again, so it's looking like head gasket failure. After a handfull of good racing laps with his class rivals, Pete had to slow down and coast as the water temp rose. A couple of other class D's had pulled off, so he trundled round for a fifth in class.

I watched the start of the CNC heads race and it looked like Phil (fil46) was having a good race. Had to leave mid race though to prepare for the NSSCC event.

Once again didn't catch much Mazda action.. sorry Adam. I did actually see the closing laps of a race, just before the NSSCC A's & E's. :t-up:

A few more pics, CNC Heads and a couple of NSSCC..

DSC_5826c_zps28195143.jpg

DSC_5825c_zps6def8d8f.jpg

DSC_5821c_zps95e052de.jpg

DSC_5801c_zpse424228b.jpg

DSC_5659c_zps29fd927a.jpg

Well another good weekends racing for me and a pb lap time of 1:27.105, the weather was bit up and down but that's life. Had a we bump with joe spencer and pulled my exhaust can off but no damage lucky it was on the last lap I stoped at the orange army post and they poped it back on.

race one

race two

Not sure I want to post my video now after watching that, haha! What the hell is powering that orange and yellow wedge shaped car? Came past you like you were stationary at ~2:05 mins!

Sorry I didn't get to see anyone (apart from you briefly Andrew - and absolutely no problem about photos), the weekend seemed to fly by, didn't even see any of the other racing at all.

Anyway, here's my vid... Start is first lap of Race 1 (the rest I was on my own so it didn't make good viewing), then a few slidey bits from 2:15mins, then Race 2 starts at 2:40, which had some good tussles right to the end where I finished ahead the guy behind by just 0.035s!

Thought I'd ended up 4th in both races, but turns out one of the guys wasn't registered for the championship so I should have in theory had two podiums.

Nice driving from both of you I reckon. :yes: Adam, after the close shave at Sunny out, I expect you'll be fitting a toilet roll holder on the dash. :laugh:

That yellow missile in Phil's vid is Simon Allaway's Lotus Esprit, 5.5lt V8.. bit of a beast eh!

DSC_5537c_zps932400f9.jpg

Hey Adam - Cracking van - did you build it yourself?

Some videos from our not too good weekend.. :t-up:

Saturday's race:

Sunday's race:

.. and some shaky outside footage from Sunday's race:

Got to do it all again in a few days time... :oops: