Time to sell my grandmother...

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

Bernie, they weren't production engines, were they?

It's an odd thing that big vs little engine debate; my (very basic) understanding of it, is that the efficiencies, as in bhp per litre of an NA engine,  just don't scale linearly as the engine size goes up.

Thus a highly efficient, I terms of power generation, engine of two litres might be well over 100bhp per litre. Whereas a highly efficient 7 litre engine is considerably less. (It's too late to explain well, but I hop you can see what I mean).

So, with our European eyes used to small engines, we just assume the big yank stuff makes poor power considering the shear size.

I suppose, our high power per litre car engines perhaps look just as poor to a motorcyclist, with the loony outputs some of the bikes seem to manage!

Dave, the big European engine achieve over 100 bhp per litre. Bugatti, Audi & BMW seem to get there.

I've always been a "small" engine fan. It's clever to get a lot out of a little. Not clever to get a lot out of a lot when it's 50% less per litre.