Useful Spare Parts

Ripley5000

When planning a longer trip in a Duratec based Westy - are there any recommended spares to carry? I recall reading somewhere that a spare throttle cable was a good idea - are they prone to breaking or was this just being over-cautious? Any other items worth considering?

Thanks,

Paul

I always carry cable ties, a short length of cable and a couple of scotchloks. For everything else I have the phone number of the breakdown service :)

I keep a throttle cable in mine mainly because they're small and light - fits inside the in-car toolkit - and can change one in less time than it would take the AA to arrive.  

Only had one snap once on any car, just happened to be the Westie, fortunately on the driveway but am more likely to have one go  as the Westie doesn't have a pedal stop fitted just yet.

Bit of insulating tape in there too following electrical gremlins in a previous car.

I've seen a clutch cable cable tied to one upper chassis member and a throttle cable to the other.

Duck tape if it moves and shouldn't, WD40 if it doesn't move and it should.

I have a mobile phone with the AA number on it and a credit card.

AA can do throttle and clutch cables at the road side with a clever little kit .

I carry a happy plugger (!) which I think is for tyre repair , and a very small electric pump , bit of wire , cable ties , couple of spanners , mobile phone .

The small canisters of compressed air with sealant are useful. I've had one in the boot for about 15 years (since I took the spare off). I tried it out last year and it didn't work.

Is that what you call a "happy plugger", Hammy.

No, I suspect not. The Happy Plugger type kits are usually the ones that actually seal any holes with a fresh rubber plug. Some do come with compressed air cylinders to re-inflate the tyre. But the key difference is that it's a mechanical repair, not just sprayed in sealant. So many more tyre places will accept them for proper repair. Whereas many wont touch a tyre full of sealant gunk.

my snap on roll cab

From our scottish 2011/2012 tours:-

1) Alternator Belt

2) Tyre foam

3) Steel Wire & Duct tape

4) Fuses - Full set

5) AA Membership

6) Westfield Membership

This year we willl need breatherlisers and yellow vests!!! Hopefully

John

If you're coming to France I think the breathalyzers have been suspended. I haven't any and there are none in the shops or pharmacy.

If you're coming to France I think the breathalyzers have been suspended. I haven't any and there are none in the shops or pharmacy.

i think the plan is manchester to plymouth(?)

plymouth (?) to santander

then drive Home through spain, france, back to manchester. (the routermaster AKA wayne Shepherd is planning it)

1600 miles in 7 days