Suggestion - my Blat list

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

part 1)I would like to add a file of people phone numbers;

But worried about personal infomation  to the world, so i was thinking it would be either to have it password protected or not open to the world.

Part 2) with the ability for member to update.

if not i'll just play custodian and email it out.

cheers

john

Being unknowing but primarily cautious, I would like to know what the legal position is regarding providing AOs with member phone numbers under the Data Protection Act, as I have no firm indications.

In the meantime, might I suggest you email your locals and ask if they can (or are willing to) give you their phone numbers?  Then it would be their choice.

Members can add and update their own phone numbers in their profiles - so it's a question of whether it is legal to give these to AOs, and also whether the members wish to provide them (so there must be an opt-out clause).

HTH John, do keep up your excellent work. :)

Being unknowing but primarily cautious, I would like to know what the legal position is regarding providing AOs with member phone numbers under the Data Protection Act, as I have no firm indications.

In the meantime, might I suggest you email your locals and ask if they can (or are willing to) give you their phone numbers?  Then it would be their choice.

Members can add and update their own phone numbers in their profiles - so it's a question of whether it is legal to give these to AOs, and also whether the members wish to provide them (so there must be an opt-out clause).

HTH John, do keep up your excellent work. :)

They have all opted to give the numbers on the understanding that it will be circulated members only  on the list.

so like i say if the best way to manage it is personally then fairy Snuff.

cheers

john

Not saying it is, but it would be nice to get a ruling on DPA aspect so I could add the phone numbers to the quarterly member list for you. :)

just ringing DPA cheers

john

• Like 1

Just spoke to them and we can be exempt as long we are "a not for profit organisation" but this need to be said in the constitution 

http://www.ico.org.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/notification/~/media/documents/library/Data_Protection/Practical_application/GPN_NOT_FOR_PROFIT_V1.ashx

Just spoke to them and we can be exempt as long we are "a not for profit organisation" but this need to be said in the constitution 

http://www.ico.org.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/notification/~/media/documents/library/Data_Protection/Practical_application/GPN_NOT_FOR_PROFIT_V1.ashx

Scott if you want chat just ring me...

0161 480 6137

Thanks John - very interesting... (you're too young to remember this):

I will pass this on to David Hussey for comment, as he's far more qualified to provide a definitive answer. :t-up:

It's OK John, you can delete your phone number, I have it already - and I know where you live! :laugh:

Thanks again for your efforts John much appreciated :yes:

never seen that but had to chuckle!

I love how Scott always finds a YouTube clip :)

Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, US TV, late 1960's...like I said, well before your time. :d

only about 14 years!

Gentlemen

DPA is a minefield. Although we are exempt from registration, we are still bound by its provisions  --  and, AFAIK our members don't sign a disclaimer when signing up.

Pragmatically, we are a small club, so unless we start selling our members' telephone numbers commercially it's very unlikely ever to become an issue.

The most likely "bad thing" to happen would be that a disgruntled or disaffected ex-member complained about his personal data being given out without his permission. This is why the thread that says "I can't get hold of John Williams, has anyone got his phone number?" should always be answered with "yes, I do  --  give me your number and I'll ask John to contact you".

The safest way to obtain and maintain a list of blat participants is to ask all your members to text their numbers to your mobile so that you can use them for blat purposes  --  and then keep the numbers on your phone.

I know this sounds draconian, but it is the safe option.

HTH

Thanks David, I knew you'd have the answer, even if it isn't one we want to hear, it's still appreciated. :)

Can we put a disclaimer in the online membership sign-up and downloadable PDF to make this happen, or is it honestly a no-go?

the trouble is its not me leading it, it could be anyone on the list; saying "i fancy a run out anyone want to join me?"

I was trying to find a better way than add/change a name/number and reemail the list out.