Fingerman gives finger to team and team-mate

Captain Colonial

To a degree, yes - but there have been plenty of gentlemen champions as well.  You don't have to be an utter rooster to do well.  How quickly Vettel et al forget they have a team mate who trudged around in testing to make the end car better, shared front wings (!), blocked faster cars for them, etc.

I enjoyed Vettel's speed and skill when he first came in - I still do, but my opinion of him as a person is that of someone I wouldn't cross the street to urinate on if he was well alight. 

I don't think I'd mind so much if he were genuinely the fastest driver out there, but I don't think he is.

Agree with this, you dont win 3 world championships by being Mr Nice Guy.

As another ruthless multi world champion once said: "I am not designed to come second or third. I am designed to win."

Dont think Fangio , Jack Brabham , Nicki Lauda , Piquet , Prost , Stewart  would agree entirely with that .

The win at all costs attitude began with a certain Mr Senna , compounded and perfected by Mr Schumaker , even more so when F1 cars became survival capsules rather than the coffins on wheels they used to be .

Not to forget the removal of any solid trackside objects that might possibly cause injury to a distance of at least 1/4 mile plus the addition of chicanes and run off areas you could land a 747 on .

• Like 1

I don't think I'd mind so much if he were genuinely the fastest driver out there, but I don't think he is.

I think Alonso is the best driver today , but its more about the car these days than the driver IMO

fact no 1 , vettel is a nunney

fact no 2 , vettel is a nunney

fact no 3 , vettel is a nunney

I think he is genuinley the hungriest driver.Consistency makes a champion & he consistently finishes on the podium......

Best example of near non-winning ,but cosistently on the podium ,champion I can think of is Nicky Hayden in MotoGP.

PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dommo