I know we've done this before, - Galaxy Tab 2 or Ipad?

Norman Verona

Just made the decision to cancel my Motorola Atrix contract with Orange (UK) which is costing about £50 a month (through the company) and buy a tablet.

My son, who knows everything, says it's a choice between a Galaxy Tab II and an Ipad.

I favour the Galaxy as I'm used to Android.

I will use it for access to the internet. I don't need an SMS chip. I use my desktop for all "office tasks" so don't need office functions on it.

So:

1) Which spec

2) can I use a full size keyboard and mouse

3) Any other issues which I haven't thought of

Many thanks.

Over an hour and no answers. Have I asked the wrong question or just one too many?

Lee, thanks, but is it so much better than the Samsung?

What does "jailbreak" mean? (Or am I being stupid)

OK, I've done a bit of research.

Looks like I need a Galaxay 10.1 Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), 16 gb memory and WiFi.

I've also found a keyboard dock for it

Do I need a mouse?

THIS machine As Above)

THIS dock (has rechargeable batteries)

So, am I on the correct path to happiness? 

Morning Norm, I have the galaxy tablet, you will love it. I don't have the keyboard you are getting, might have to get me one of those. The missus has the i pad but likes my galaxy better.

Norman,

I have the same Samsung tablet, and I find it so easy to use as my phones are all andriod also. Battery life equals an ipad easily, it has more functionality and you can use SD cards for increased memory. Ideal for movies if travelling.

Gets my vote hands down, even using it now with just the screen keyboard

Aj

AJ...do you use the Swype keyboard? I love it.

I tried on my Atrix but it was a real pain so gave up. 

Love it on the 10.1 keys are big enough for my clumsy fingers. Took a bit of getting used to but well worth it.

Just as an aside,I checked out your friend John Marie's website, quite the car he has produced would love to see that baby...

I'm almost sold on the Android machine as I've used it on my Motorola Atrix (I think I was the only person to buy one!) I have used an Apple Mac and found it a bit "clunky" 

I think my only outstanding question is do I need a mouse or is it not required. I have a mouse on the Atrix 

Steve, will you be in the UK during Stoneleigh?

He has to be back straight after Stoneleigh. If he lived nearer to us I'd take you to meet him but they live near Tours. We live half way between Rennes and Angers. Check it on a map. Took over 3 hours in the Midget.

We are in the UK the week after the show, darn...