My First Track Day

grahamf

I took my car to the track for the first time yesterday. I went to www.thunderhill.com...

...and it was raining. It looked more like Knockhill than I would have liked. Thankfully it dried up over he course of the day

IMG_20130404_110054_zpsd573620a.jpg

The astute amongst you will notice the missing front wheel arches. The sikaflex/bighead fastener bonding doesn't appear to work as well on the Freeways. I removed the front right side on the way to the track before it flew off, and removed the left front after my first session.

This was so much fun. It bodes well for the future.

I absolutely love the noise of the car at race track revs.

• Like 1

Nice looking car Graham. What are your cycle wings made from? You can't bond to the plastic versions.

If they are carbon or fibreglass then clean with Acetate (nail varnish remover) before applying the Sikaflex.

If they are carbon or fibreglass then clean with Acetate (nail varnish remover) before applying the Sikaflex.

Did that, but they still didn't last.

I decided that I cared less about the aesthetics of this, than losing a wheel arch on the freeway, so they are now bolted on.

The ABS cycle wings have to be bonded using epoxy resin not polyester for the fibre glass.  My polyester resin debonded before I even got on the road, over 1,000 miles with epoxy and they haven't budged at all more info at http://2js-westfield-build.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/3-august-2012-where-did-day-go.html

Graham, I lived in San Diego for 15 years - just curious, do you have issues with not having a front license plate?

Not really. I don't have a front license plate on my daily driver either. I have been stopped once, the first week I owned it, so it was easy to talk my way out of that one.

I passed (they were stationary)/was passed by a number of CHP to and from the track without incident.

Jonjh, your web site mentions John, James and Myles. Is that Myles with (or used to have)  a Caterham?

"Thunderhill"    Thats a nice name for a racetrack. Glad you enjoyed the day.       Nice reg. plate, pity we can't make up our own here.

Nice reg. plate, pity we can't make up our own here.

I know, very frustrating.  I had a plate in California that had "GNATSUM", which of course is "Mustang" backwards, as the other was already taken.  Big mistake.  Had coppers follow me every time I turned around, trying to figure it out, people asking me at traffic lights, car parks... the car had an electrical fault once and stranded me at the side of the road, and some little old lady walked passed me (head under the hood, smoke pouring out of engine bay) and asked if "GNATSUM" was Yiddish.  I said yes, it's Yiddish for "stupid question".  "Oh!" she said, "that's interesting!" and walked off, smiling.

Jonjh, your web site mentions John, James and Myles. Is that Myles with (or used to have)  a Caterham?

Myles is his son, so id guess not

AJ, OK, not it won't be. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Just spotted this Norm - no Myles is only 14 so no Caterham (yet) James is now 16 and counting the days until he gets his licence and can track day the Westfield

Jon

Jon, Thanks,  AJ answered it at the time.