Surfboard in a Westy

james_swimmer

So it turns out I can fit 6'1 surfboard in the car with the roof on, yes you can surf in the rain!

image_zps922a5374.jpg

Anybody else managed to transport any obtuse objects in/on their cars?

I think I'll be making a bike rack that'll fit in the disused spare wheel bracket holes soon, possibly try to link it up with a frame over the screen so I can carry two boards and two passengers, roof up or roof down. Ever seen this down?

seen a topbox fitted to a cage.

Now, if you have two surf boards why not make up brackets to affix to the wheels just in time for summer.

I regularly use mine to go to the DIY store to buy timber, it's much easier to take the westfield than it is to fit the roof rack on the tintop.

Regularly take the Bro in Law in mine.................... think that qualifies (he wouldn't mind me saying) 

• Like 1

Picked up a bamboo plant fron B & Q a few years ago

It would not fit into any of the tintops at 8ft high plus pot

Stood the pot in the bootbox and then attached the plant to the roll cage with a bungee

Worked a treat, much to the amusement of other motorists

Once carried a pair of Westfield clamshell front wings bungee corded to the passenger seat all the way from Cheshire down to Stoneleigh; wrapped them in the green refuse bags you get for garden waste, looked disturbingly like a body!

Came back from Dover with 2 huge Avon 225 tyres strapped to the roll bar.

Went there with a Techcraft silencer strapped to the top roll bar. Stopped for fuel and a coffee and came back to find a crowd trying to work out how my silencer worked.

why not scrap the doors, and attach the surfboards to the sides of car! Perhaps mountings on the side of rear roll bar, and side of windscreen??? :p

If you want to transport surf boards in style,why not buy a VW camper ?Horses for courses and all that ????

Have you ever driven a VW camper? I found it depressing! Even more so along some of the cracking B roads in Cornwall, Devon and Wales that I use to get to the good surf spots. In my eyes turning up with a raspy westy with boards strapped between rollbar and screen is turning up in style...

I can't think of any better way to combine my two favourite things, surfing and 'spirited' driving.

Surfboards for doors eh? May give some visability issues.

With two surfboards strapped between roll bar and screen combined with spirited driving may lead to an unplanned flight.

With two surfboards strapped between roll bar and screen combined with spirited driving may lead to an unplanned flight.

A bit of packing under the roll bar (RAC so higher than screen already) = big spoiler

With the way the roof balloons up at speed I can't imagine a couple of boards would create much more uplift.

A spoiler mounted upside down will become a wing and lift the car (as apposed to pressing it down)