Tyre Pressure

Dave Evans

Hi Guys

Can anyone help me with the correct tyre pressure for me SE

Tyres are Goodyear Eagle NCT 60

185/60R 13

Wheel size 13 x 6j.

Is the pressure the same for both front and rear ?

Many thanks

General preference and common wisdom is 18-20 psi all around, adjust to suit your circumstances and preferences. :)

18 though i did try 14 psi on saturday on my rears and saved 15 seconds on a mile lap :-) - 18 is generally fine 

Slightly off topic, always used 16psi, 18 if long motorway or bad weather.

Got new tyres, 32psi all round! Ouch! Not nice to drive back.

32 psi ouch was it nitrogen ??

16-18 for road use.

14-15 for track

14 fronts, and 50psi rears for autotests. :d

Got new tyres, 32psi all round! Ouch! Not nice to drive back.

This happened to me too. Explained to the tyre monkey that the new front tyres he was fitting for me needed 18psi. "Yes Ma'am.". Got home wondering why the car was understeering so badly. 32psi!

Jen

I think they pump them up to seat the tyre properly on the rim. They should then let some out to correct the pressure, and it looks like they forgot. :bangshead:  :bangshead:

This is from my website.

The story starts in June (2004) when I decided to upgrade wheels & tyres. I rang round and chose Superlite as the supplier. On the basis that they could make 2x7" and 2x8" wheels and fit Avon ACB10 tyres and deliver in 2/3 weeks. As  I wanted them for late August (8 weeks) I sent my cheque off. After 3 weeks I rang to check on progress. "Wheels are made and centres are at bodyshop being painted". Rang following week and told "wheels now back" will be on the way tonight (Friday). On the Wednesday I rang to be told "Waiting for the wheels to come back from the bodyshop". A week later I rang to check progress of these wheels which seemed to be going back & forward to the bodyshop. "Got the wheels painted but now held up waiting for the tyres - production problems at Avon". I waited 10 days and rang again. "No tyres yet". Ok, says I, give me the size and I'll see if I can get them. "leave it with me I'll chase them again". I rang a few days later to be told "Your tyres are in and wheels will be sent off tomorrow." This meant I should have the wheels by Wednesday but was leaving to go on Holiday. being a wise old b******* I asked Jim in the office to check up whilst I was away. "Tyres not in yet" he was told. On return & still keeping cool I rang to say he had told me the tyres were in but never mind let me know the size & I'll see if I can get them. "Oh you want Avon A032 852's" Now the knowledgeable will know that that's a Yoko tyre and there's no such tyre size as 852. I rang George Polley for some 8" Avon ACB10's and being an honest fellow told him the full story. "Don't know why he's saying he hasn't got them I sent him 2x7"and 2x8" Avon's 3 weeks ago". Right, time to stop being Mr Nice. Ring Superlight and read the riot act. Promised the wheels would be sent of that night (Friday). Didn't arrive on Monday so now told they would be sent that day (Monday). Wheels arrived on Wednesday - no wheel nuts. Rang and told "Henry's not in today". Explained problem and asked if I wanted the locking wheel nuts and spare tyre valves as well as the 16 wheel nuts. "No just the wheel nuts", was my reply. Suspecting they wouldn't arrive next morning I got some Ford wheel nuts and fitted the wheels. Now needed longer studs (reason why is due to big brakes) so onto DT and next morning long studs arrive, are fitted and still no Superlite nuts. This morning (Friday) the nuts arrive and jobs finished - just in time to go to Brize Norton for the speed trials. Now, last job, check tyre pressures. N/S/R 25psi - drop to 18. N/S/F 75psi... 75PSI!. what's this then? Inspection reveals that the tyre rim wasn't seated. The tyre is rated max 55psi and took 8,5 bar (120psi) pressure to get the tyres on the rim. I hate to think what may have happened if I hadn't seen it.

If asked I will NOT be recommending Superlite Wheels

This happened to me too. Explained to the tyre monkey that the new front tyres he was fitting for me needed 18psi. "Yes Ma'am.". Got home wondering why the car was understeering so badly. 32psi!

Jen

I asked for 16 all round... Gave me a blank look. Asked if I was sure... Then ignored me.

Out in Germany I borrowed a mates car, thought tyres were over inflated, 48... I think. The max pressure stated on tyre wall minus 5psi is what he used!!!

32 psi ouch was it nitrogen ??

78% nitrogen!

• Like 1

"78% nitrogen"

Just plain air then :d

Dave ,

Would be worth checking the condition of the tyres , Goodyear haven't made NCT60's for years , to give you a guage NCT60's (60 profile) were fitted new  to say mk1 Fiesta and early XR3i age vehicles before moving on to NCT2 which were fitted to say MK4 XR3i's , MK2&3 XR2i's and Sierra's , if you guage it to these vehicles it gives you and indication of possible age , there should be a date stamp on one side of the tyre , pm me if you want details of how to read it  .