Commercial motorhome insurance with multiple drivers?

AdamR

There is literally nothing that can't be insured. The underwriting manager where I work always worked on the principal that there is no such thing as a bad risk, just a bad premium.

Having worked for a small motor syndicate that tried to write meaty premium business i can tell you their are some ****e risks out there. Although we did misse shelby ;).

I had a motorhome self drive hire policy with Adrian Flux I think (could check when I get home)

Unlimited miles self drive hire over 25s but it was about £1640 a year !!!!!!

Have you tried

2gethere insurance?

Awesome information - thank you gents :t-up:  I'll get on the phone to these guys asap.

What's the deal with a 'self drive hire policy'? I've not heard that term before... £1640 a year would be 'do-able' I think, the current small van we have is nearly that much. I'm getting used to being bent over by insurance companies now so I just lube up beforehand and it's not so bad any more.

'self drive hire policy' is for vehicles being hired out to the general public. I used to run a hire fleet and we could only insure 3rd party. We charged for collision damage excess waiver but, of course, there wasn't such a thing. We account for this charge against our repair costs. Most years we made a small profit but some years it was a huge loss.

Ah-ha, that makes sense. Thank you.

I guess employees and the director of the company would be excluded from those who could hire the vehicle? Someone mentioned that route to me (without using the 'self drive hire' term) but it sounded a bit dodgy...

I genuinely hope you get somewhere with this Adam, as a service eng it was so much nicer just staying in motorhme rather than hotels. I stayed on some wonderful camp sites, and some customers let me stay in there factories etc. It was not about cost, just having a home from home.

And of course when there were a few of us on a big job the fun started.

My business partner does the same sometimes, staying on or near site in his motorhome. So much nicer than some of the b&b's etc that I've ended up in!

Cheers Marty - me too! Haha.

So far, 2gether have said no, Colin Fear (wasn't able to speak to Justin as he was busy) are calling back (cheers for the contact Barry!) and Trust Insurance have asked for some very specific details and Matthew is on the case. I'll report back!

AdamR,  I have couple of white rabbits to pull out of the hat if Matt cant help..... :-) 

Sounds good... I'll keep you in the loop. Thanks again!

Cheers Stewart - I might have to give them a go. Although this situation is quite different, so...

Only price back so far is £3180, the other companies either don't seem to be capable of getting back to me or can't be bothered to put the effort in to get a quote!

James, those white rabbits might be useful if still available please?

Adam

I would try calling some of the motorhome dealers or van conversion companies to see what they use for their company policy.

David

Good idea - thanks David! Just called the company who did the conversion, they mentioned Safeguard. I tried their online system last week but they wouldn't quote - I'll try the phone...

Edit: Straight no. They recommended Adrian Flux, here goes...!