Cat D write off

Petemac

Hi all you Westy lovers, I'm new so hope this works. Lost my lovely V8 2 weeks ago to a rear end shunt it's now back with Westfields

can anyone recommend a good insurance company that will insure a Cat D write off. By the way love this site well done.

Regards.

Petemac  (Just joined)

anyone will , you do not have to declare it a cat d or c to the insurance when insuring it and they do not ask ,  only matters when you make a claim that is when they check the staus and previous history as it effects the value on payout if its written off again or close to being written off ,if you need any info ring me on the numbers below

just use the usual suspects for insurance

• Like 1

As Steve says; my son has a Cat D Golf GTi and it's never, ever, been questioned by the insurers.

petermac, welcome. 

It would appear that you may save more than the club subs if you speak to Clare at A-Plan. See the sponsors section for details.

Welcome aboard Petemac,

anyone will , you do not have to declare it a cat d or c to the insurance when insuring it and they do not ask , only matters when you make a claim that is when they check the staus and previous history as it effects the value on payout if its written off again or close to being written off ,if you need any info ring me on the numbers below

just use the usual suspects for insurance

Never knew that! I knew what C/D and the rest meant and knew obvious implications to resale value and purchasing risks. But was under impression it would be declared on insurance, unsure of implications, if any, but thought you'd need to declare it. I know selling it you must declare it.

My car was declared write off, before it was inspected then repaired by Westfield and the Cat D was removed... Took a fair few phone calls. So I'm under impression no need to declare that, as it was a mistake, does not show on HPI check and was never actually Cat D. Or will it bite me in the A*** when hell freezes over and I sell my Westfield?

cherry if your car was declared a catd and it had gone through the system it would still be a cat d there is no way on earth they would change it from catd or c to unrecorded despite what you or anyone says and how many phone calls you made/make and all this people say  about companies that will do it for you etc etc that is a myth  its the same with q plates once a q allways a q , once its recorded it will allways be recorded ,they may change c to d or b to c on request of the salvage company if they think the declared cat status is ridiculous or questionable then it will be re inspected and re assessed but it will never be unrecorded no matter what , i know of a battle that has been going on for well over a year to sort out cat status and its still thesame as when it was written off

i have been repairing cars for 27 years and dealing with salvage and do not know of any case of a cat status being removed but i do know of several cases infact quite a few where owners even salvage companies having been told there car is recorded as cat d or c and even salvage companies advertising them as d or c as they have been informed by the insureres but them actually being unrecorded , i just bought bev a catd fiesta tdci zetec on a 10 plate with 11k on the clock just needing air bags as the driver had hit a curb with the subframe (no damage to subframe)which had set of the bags but no other damage at all ,so £600 for the dash and bags so why it was written off i dont know strange things happen ,i hpi'd it and it is not recorded so result for me £4800 and bev has a 3 year old fiesta thats worth nearly 8k ,i also bought a damaged porsche 911 a few years ago that was advertised as cat d and when i checked it was not recorded  ,so even insurance and salvage companies get things wrong and mixed up i would guess a breakdown in the system and comunication thats why they dont get recorded

you do get a few accident damaged cars that come through declared unrecorded from the insureres ,this is a bit naughty tbh and you usually find it on more high end cars as they dont record them so they get more money for them from the salvage company and them then on resale

your car

westfield 1.8 zetec cu54dwy
4 owners

current owner xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

chassis number xxxxxxxxxxxx9038

no colour changes

no stolen record

not recorded as accident damaged and repaired (which is a joke shirley as its been twated more times than chris eubank)

blardy blah etc etc

Cheers Steve, although accidents, all 3 have been relatively minor. The worst was the first, front bent, however, whole front end was replaced. Then rebuilt by Westfield.

I asked your advice for the obvious experience that's almost as old as me! My car did show up on HPI as Cat D straight away, this was before I had Westfield collect it and assess the damage and Mark Walker argue the case for repair with the insurance company. Then I spent a couple of months arguing and clearly the Cat D has been removed.

Yes, if you add cost of three repairs together it's pretty much what I paid for the car! But as I have not been at fault, 3rd party insurance company's have been responsible for the cost of repairs, except the guy that paid for it without going through insurance (his excess was £5k!) and this occasion where driver did not make contact with me, I swerved and hit the curb, in essence my fault. Plus swerving driver didn't see me, so just kept going.

Now I'm scared to drive my Westfield across Birmingham. So it's staying in the garage, except for events like stoneliegh and drives out. I have a £250 Suzuki ignis with 178k to use around this sh**y city and if someone hits me, I'm not too bothered, although I would like to reach 250k in it! I G3'd it, new number plates (same reg, just new plates to look nice), nanolex'd it and used an intensive glass cleaner... I looks half it's age now!

Thanks Steve for the help.

Then I spent a couple of months arguing and clearly the Cat D has been removed.

Stephen, It was never recorded as Cat D. Someone may have told you it was but it wasn't. Read Steve's post again.

This could go on forever!

It never was a cat d, however post accident I receive a letter informing me it had been declared cat D and a settlement offer was made. I did a 83600 text "HPI" check and it showed cat d.

Now it does not.

I know, 12 weeks it took me, with help from mark walker at Westfield.

It never was a cat d, just someone was keen with paperwork.

it will not be recorded as a cat anything until the payout has been agreed or the car moved to a salvage company cherry so i fail to see how it would show up recorded if your car was with westfield and not with the isurances contracted  salvage company or breakers ,they may have told you they were going to record it as d but doubt it was ever

But you're contradicting yourself in the same sentence.

I'm not sure who supply the 83600 data but if it was registered Cat D then it will still be Cat D.

I can understand that a letter can be sent saying it's been registered Cat D when it hasn't but if the data from 83600 is from the correct source (DVLA) then it would still be a Cat D.

As Steve says; my son has a Cat D Golf GTi and it's never, ever, been questioned by the insurers.

If they do question it i suppose being honest will not hurt (I hope!!) thanks for your reply

Petemac

So how do we stand? We had that awful hailstorm last summer and wife's tintop (nice clean S type diesel) was written off - well, they gave us the choice as 'marginal whether to repair or write off'. We chose the latter, agreed a price to buy back, got the cheque by return (adjusted to reflect buying back) and repaired it locally.

However, on the phone to DVLA shortly afterwards and asked them to check status; nothing recorded.

Renewal came through for insurance - no mention (in fact cheaper than last year!) My concern is what happens when wife mows down a bus queue? Or if we decide to change insurers in the future? 'Has the car ever been declared a write-off?' Don't really want to raise the question with our current insurers but.............?

If you're asked "'Has the car ever been declared a write-off?' you can, hand on heart reply "I do not know". You bought a damaged car from your insurers. It's for them to register a write off (technically "uneconomical to repair")