o/t Trip to France in a motorhome

Paul Morcom

I'm thinking of heading to France in the motorhome for a week towards the end of May.

Don't want to travel too far but far enough south to increase the probability of better weather.

Good food and wine are key as are good sites in stunning locations.

Any suggestions where to go and recommendations for good motorhome sites.

How far? Theres a lovely site call chateau de drancourt at abberville that's approx 70 miles south of calais.

http://www.chateau-drancourt.fr/

its a keycamp site so lots for kids but better to book direct or via caravan club.

Stayed there should be clear of kids late may. Weather wise, it is said that the Loire is the dividing line between northern/southern European climate. Most French camp sites are of a high standard these days. Most towns have overnight stop overs for camper vans,should you need them . Do not be tempted stop on motorway services overnight, especially further south.

An other option is Reims, dont know of any nice campsite there but a love only gp circuit you can drive and 175 miles from calais.

Or maybe park up at norms farm- lovely welcome there :)

Quiberon on south Brittany coast or anywhere really :-) France is huge and full of great sights, sites and scenery

Motorhomes are great in France and most small towns have a municipal campsite many others have aires and waste dumps + fresh water - but DO NOT use aires on motorways especially near the ports they attract east european scumbags that will nick anything from your van before heading to UK to claim dole and a house.

Don't bother reading all the myths about gassing its crap - just stear clear of Mway aires

If you need an overnighter near Calais there is a crackin Castels site suitable for a one nighter.

Where you get to will depend on what ferry ports you intend to use - I would suggest to take a look at LD Lines from Portsmouth to Le Havre and avoid the 90% of the Normandy peage - LD Lines should give you an economical crossing cost.

If you don't have a Tom Tom get one (with euro maps) and load it up with French campsites and aire locations these will prove a godsend to make your trip stress free :-) and are free to download from internet.

Diesel is still cheaper in France as is booze - everything else can be same or more expensive than UK.

Don't use Post Office to get your euros their exchange rates are the worse for best rates use a commercial dealer and get some quotes you can negotiate.

And do a search on what you need to take with you when driving in France - its all listed and discused on here

Bon Voyage

You're welcome here but it's a long way from Calais. In a motorhome allow at least 7 hours.

My daughter loves euro Disney and its only about €10 a night for a motorhome in the main car park :)

The French are so motorhome orientated with camping car pitches within walking distance of most towns

Weather might not be too good then but it's normally better than Wales !!!!!!

Thanks for the ideas. Yes was thinking I needed to get down to the Loire valley lower, south Britany coast is a lovely area but may be a bit too influenced by weather coming in from the Atlantic?

Does anyone know of a good mororhome/caravan touring guide for France?

Does anyone know of a good mororhome/caravan touring guide for France?

Don't bother they're usually recommending campsites that have paid for advertisements - Caravan Club is as good as any - just load up a Tom Tom sat-nav with the free internet info for locating campsites and aires - campsites in europe/France are generally a much better standard than UK - drive up take a look if you don't like it move on - there are thousands to choose from :d   if I was there in May you could drop by and use my secluded 2.5 acres to yourself :d

Paul

Look out for signs that say "route étroite et sinueuse, passage difficile". In my (genuine) experience, you'll meet a lot of fellow motorhomers on such roads.

You're welcome here if you want. We're a few miles from the Bretagne border but not near the coast.

Best bit is we will be in the UK

David - Thats a common sign to look for in all EU countries, second only to Toutes Directions in France, I believe it is part of a new EU directive and Brussels legislation that all caravans and motorhomes must use those routes :)