Mechanics hands...

TAFKARM

Forgive me for a slightly wussy topic but its probably quite sensible.

Since getting the Westie I've started doing a fair bit of my own spannering. Im quite conscious that my hands ae getting pretty knackering. Cuts and nicks all over them, skinned knuckles, ground in dirt, really dry and cracking skin in places. Im concerned that I don't want to send up with a nasty skin disease...

I clean them with swarfega when Im done and that's about it, I can't get on with gloves.

What do you guys do...shall I just man up and have hands like a zombie with leprosy?

You can try barrier cream

• Like 2

Ive started using un-powdered latex gloves for the same reason, i used gloves 1 size to small so they are a tight fit. It takes a little getting used to, but better than scrubbing them for ages after working...

• Like 1

man up

HOWEVER...

Holland and Barret do a Aloe Vera and Tea Tree oil thing, £5 for big tube. I use a splodge post wash, pre shave in the mornings and huge difference. Then use another splodge post shave. Cover face the excess I use on hands and arms. Defiantly better skin in all area's.

First used it when out on the ground in military to stop skin turning to sand paper! Used it on tattoo's, piercings, sunburn, blisters, gravel rash... Actually I pretty much coat myself in it!

Tea Tree is antiseptic, so a bonus!

http://m.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=3387&prodid=3377&cid=63

Oh, sorry to be girly, but nursing career as driven me to listen to dribble the last few years!!!

Its not soft at all, barrier cream on dry hands before work, quality hand cleaner with bits in to clean, hand cream on dry hands after.

disposable gloves if work is not to intricate for them.

Barrier cream fills the cracks and skin pores rather than oil and dirt whilst working so it cleans off easier

Slightly different but have been suffering over last 5 years during monster rebuild project (house, not car!) causing incredibly painful cracked skin on finger tips caused by dust, cement etc.   Introduced to Boots 'Aqueous Cream BP'  -  paraffin based.  Brilliant product, knocks spots off E45 etc.  Hands like a p***ter now..................

When working on generators and go karts I used barrier cream, as it was in the workshop I used. Bloke came round promoting it and put it on, got my mate to put it on. Then carried on gabbling, got paddy to take air filter off and other basic things to get dirty. Paddy then washed it all straight off. Demo guy then sprayed hand in black paint and covered it with permanent marker. Waved it about a bit, then took hair dryer to dry it off, then washed it straight off. Was a few years ago and I ain't a clue what it was called, but demo amazed me.

Barrier cream helps prevent dermatitis which is something you really don't want.

You can always tell the difference between a desk pusher and a worker when you shake hands . The bigger the company and higher up the management trail , the softer the mits .

I'm convinced the top bosses have it all done for them , most dont even have to wipe there own :arse: