Hi folks :) - Searching for Cortina cycle brackets/cycle wings

Red Flash

Light brackets for the narrow are not easy to come by. The mounting points have changed so the current ones don't fit. i ended up making my own (well my mate did the hard bit).

Here is my thread on the subject. Ignore the first effort and look at the end:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/92549-narrow-headlamp-brackets/

Hey Geoff, oh.. :( that's a shame, I'm hoping someone on this forum will have some lying around somewhere..

Looking through the forum I came across an old post in the 'parts section', someone was selling the light brackets and cycle stays..they would have been perfect..

Thanks for the link, very interesting read and your mate has done a great job making those light brackets  :yes:

Do you have anymore pics of your Westie?  :t-up:

We tacked them up on the car as the angles are quite complicated to get right from a pattern.

The most recent picture I have is this one (a blantant rip of Nathan's mag cover). Has wind deflectors now but otherwise much the same.

sign1.JPG

Fairdoos..that looks the business Geoff  :d A nice touch using the side decals.

Did you notice a difference in downforce after removing the swept arches?? That's one of the main reasons for  wanting cycle wings as we'll be using the 'Westie' on and off the track  :yes:

Thanks for the link, very informative  :t-up:

Did you notice a difference in downforce after removing the swept arches

No - can't say as I'd noticed a problem before. There is a useful weight saving in getting rid of the swept wings (see linked thread) but I really did it as I prefer the more modern look of cycle wings.

As suggested on there, cycle wings increase unsprung weight unless you take steps to counter it with other savings but I don't know if you'd ever notice the difference.

I really did it as I prefer the more modern look of cycle wings.

Interesting comment. All early cars had cycle wings then the flared in wing came in. So, I would say the cycle wing was the old fashioned look and the swept wing more modern.

OK then - off you go and find me a new one for sale with flared wings then. You can check caterham's models as well if you like.

• Like 1

No - can't say as I'd noticed a problem before. There is a useful weight saving in getting rid of the swept wings (see linked thread) but I really did it as I prefer the more modern look of cycle wings.

Yes I agree with you there Geoff  :yes: knocks the years off, 10 years younger   ;)

Interesting read, especially with us wanting it for track use - less weight the better  :t-up:

What's the chances we'll 'lift off' with swept wings on a race track... :laugh:

Geoff, by early I meant the 1920's. The early MG's all had cycle wings then the got swept wings. The first Lotus 7 had cycle wings then the swept wing was introduced to get it into the USA (it was called the America wing at the time).

Your looking over 15 years, I'm looking over a much longer period.

Not really - I'm looking at the correct meaning of the word 'modern' which is 'of the current time' not 'most recently designed'.

Not sure that's helping the original question though other than a free bump.

Would anyone have any used cortina stays and light brackets for a narrow body they'd like to sell??  :t-up:

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.