Track days

rbrincat

Hi, In may I'll be going for a track day for my first time and wouldn't want to end up with my car parked in the garage and me just having to watch the others having fun. I have a 1.8 Zetec factory build car. Any suggestions and what should I get changed before I hit the track?

Can I use the standard factory brakes, oil and pads? Or they will be no good in no time at all?

Ryan 

You'll be absolutely fine with that set up IMO the car is very light so quite forgiving on these bits - Just take some oil to top up and come in every 20-30 mins to let the brakes and other bits cool off a bit.

I can't see from your avatar but one mod you may want to consider is a roll bar with a few supports and a cross member.  I got a playskool one but the RAC ones seem quite popular too.

Enjoy!  :t-up:

Yeah you will be fine. Only mod I would suggest if you don't already have one is a oil catch tank.

My first track day was on a bog standard 1.8 zetec speed sport with no mods...was the greatest four wheeled experience of my life!!

I too was worried about my 1st track day but I found that as the car is so light you don't seem to wear the tyres or brakes. Do keep an eye on your oil - I go from full to "low" on the dipstick at the end of a track day. Normal use I use hardly any oil.

I was expecting my rears to be toast with all the sliding about at Llandow. The reality is that I couldn't even see any wear.

Thanks for the advise guys. Actually it's a time trials event I'll be participating in so we only stay out on track for 10 mins at a time so for sure there will be ample time for the engine and brakes to cool down.

I only have the standard roll bar and since I have a boot, I was not thinking of drilling anything through it but I will consider what can be done to have a better support.

Any suggestions regarding the oil catch tank?

Temporary solution is to tie wrap a 1 litre plastic bottle ( old oil container) in a palce where its away from exhaust manifold and feed pipe to it from engine or rocker breather

• Like 1