huhne and price

jeff oakley

Nor could most of us, I thought you got a reduced sentence for pleading guilty? he got 8 months, she should have got  24 months as she wasted the tax payers money on two "not guilty" very expensive trials. 

Just to clarify you do not need to have committed a criminal or civil offence to pervert the course of justice. Destroying evidence for a friend to keep him from being charged is perverting the course of justice.

Society, or maybe more to the point the judiciary, take perverting the course of justice as very serious. When you think our whole culture is based on our legal system, which may have many flaws but is seen as the best in the world, you should be able to understand why the maximum sentence is life imprisonment,

Just to add that Pryce was perfectly entitled to plead not guilty. That's why our judicial system is held in such high esteem.

I don't think jail is the best punishment for offences such as theirs. I think they should be taken right out of their comfort zone by being made to do community service. A period of working in a job that benefits the community, involves physical effort and coming into contact with real people could shock them out of their complacent ways and result in benefits all round.

I would agree with that. However the judge wouldn't have as he saw it as a custodial sentence to deter others. 

Trouble with a lot of community service though, is that it actually takes work away from the workers that would have done it normally. which I suppose in some ways, then demeans those people.

Personally I tend to think that they should just spend the morning moving heavy rocks from one side of a field to another, then the afternoon putting them back. Or some such.

Trouble with a lot of community service though, is that it actually takes work away from the workers that would have done it normally.

Good point, I hadn't considered that.

jail ? they will prolly have the vip suite and be out anyway in 2 months with good behavior bonuses and laughing all the way to the bank

Should have hit there wallets really really hard to the tune of  £100k's that way do some good and help bail the country out of dept

My origanal point was not they got treated badly but how the system treats this more seriously than crimes involving theft and violence. If I was in charge prison would be hard, they would all be working for their keep, we would have the best parks and the cleanest streets. 8 months would mean 8 months and would be increased for bad attitude and behaviour.

We cannot afford to pay for the sort of jobs that they would do as council budgets mean parks and cleaning have been cut, so they would not be replacing anyone.

And instead of sky tv etc their free time would be a choice, banged up in a cell or doing educational things which might help in the future.

Huhne knew the law, he was a member of the elite who wrote and pledged to uphold them and as such was also a hypocrite, she was a vindictive ex who reaped what she sowed. I have no sympathy.

Trouble with a lot of community service though, is that it actually takes work away from the workers that would have done it normally. which I suppose in some ways, then demeans those people.

Personally I tend to think that they should just spend the morning moving heavy rocks from one side of a field to another, then the afternoon putting them back. Or some such.

When I was an Adjutant we shared a barracks with a tank transporter squadron operating mark 1 Antars.  These used to carry 8 tons of ballast in the form of 56 lb lumps of pig iron and when the Antars went to the base workshops the ballast had to be unloaded and piled at the side of the vehicle park.  The RSM used to use the regimental prisoners and defaulters to move all the ballast from one side of the square to the other and then get them to move it back the next day and so on.  Mindless but very effective in keeping the numbers of defaulters down.