OT? MX-5 Trackday Video - Wet Cadwell (Mostly Sideways)

AdamR

Morning all,

I know it's not a Westy (and I'm glad I took the '5!), but here's some track day action... Went to Cadwell on Saturday and had an awesome time! The rain didn't stop all day (and turned to snow by the end) meaning it was pretty slippery...

The first ~half is me (and others) going sideways / getting it wrong, then the second half is a couple of clear laps.

Cheers,
Adam

Looked good fun Adam ....apart from the moment at Hall bends ! , how's it compare to the Westfield on track ?

Was a cracking day, yep! Very few cars booked on, half of them went home shortly after lunch, and a mate of mine came in his MX-5 so we spent a lot of time in convoy.

The 'moments' were pretty hectic yeah, dipping an inside rear wheel onto the normal line through there under power was lethal. An MG race car went into the barriers there just before lunch actually.

It's more fun to chuck about and thrash, but can be frustrating in the dry since you get a serious concertina effect with 'faster' cars. It has taught me a lot though, and since the weight distribution and handling characteristics (slight understeer on corner entry, progressive and gradual oversteer on exit) are so similar to the Westy it all transfers across nicely.

They are also awesome for drift days, spares are cheap (and so is insurance, under £200 fully comp as a 2nd car on a classic policy), and therefore you're not bothered about damaging it. All in all, the best £900 (plus a set of brake pads at £120 and a cambelt at £50) I ever spent! Everyone should have one :d

Hi Adam,

Nice video, was it shot with a HD3? What settings are you using? I tried my new HD3 out yesterday at the Westfield Active Day and I am finding the video seems to playback to quickly! I have tried using a few different pieces of software (Windows Media Player & VLC) but the result is the same.

I'm wondering whether it might be a settigns issue on the camera. I was using 720 @ 30 FPS wide angle (NTSC).

Mark

Cheers Mark :t-up:

Yes, it's with the HD3 Black, on 1080 / 30 / Medium from memory. I once had that issue but I cannot remember how I solved it....! I *think* it might have been to do with codecs, if you download the K-Lite Codec Pack and install, that might do the trick...

http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Codec-Pack-Full/3000-13632_4-64246.html

Cheers!

Adam

Looks like 115bhp is plenty on a cold wet day. Did notice some brave soul in a Yellow 7 car.

that looked brilliant fun - had a similar wet session there myself and managed to spend much time going sideways at fairly lowish speeds

as you say though there is a lot to be said for having a cheapo mx5 for a wet track day - and save the westy for going fast on a dry track - mmm thinking :d

• Like 1