Need to move unregistered westfield

davebo

I need to move my Westfield build to a new garage. The garage I currently have is in a village and I need to move it to a new one about three streets away in the next few weeks. Car is rolling with hopefully working brakes. But unlikely to be able to move under it's own power.

I don't know the best way to move it. Options are push it, tow it with a tow rope, or hire a low loader/car transporter truck. There is a small uphill part so I will need to tow for at least that. New garage is down small lane so not sure if I could get truck down there. I'm not sure what I can do legally. I have a feeling that by having it on public roads it needs to be taxed and insured even if I'm pushing it? Truck might be most legal option even if I have to unload and push at end.

Help and advice needed urgently!

Thank you

How far is it and is it busy

An option would be to use a trailer board on rear of westfield and do it when road is quiet?

I would just tow it. If stopped I would plead ignorance and talk my out of it.

It's quiet and at most is half a mile, according to google it's 0.4 miles (a 2 minute drive or 8 minute walk). I don't have a tow bar. Perhaps I should get one fitted.

You don't need to get a towbar fitted just yet, as you should have a tow eye in your car somewhere usually in the spare wheel/ jack kit, If you post on here what your car is some one will tell you where to locate your tow eye/ hook.

I would do what Norman has suggested at a quite time perhaps on a Sunday.

I have an s-max.

Was wondering about using towing rod/pole as might be safer and less likely to run into back of s-max. Towing rod/pole is £30 from halfords and has good reviews. My only worry is whether hook is big enough to hook over a chassis rail.

It's now illegal to use a rope over here. Must be a pole.

if it's less that half a mile I would go in the loal pub at about 2pm on a saturday and buy everyone a pint who helps push it up the road - sorted, you make some friends, the local drinkers get a pint and your car is moved - happy days.... 

Any local car clubs ?

Must be some rally or grass track boys who could help for a few quid.

Your a bit far from me :(

It's now illegal to use a rope over here. Must be a pole.

these immigrants get everywhere  :laugh:

Em, but the French won't let them in. They forcibly took lots of Romanians back home. That was illegal so they apologised.