Top Gear Africa Special

Ian Podmore

Definately the best of this series :)

Agreed - nice to see Africa through something other than a wildlife/military/humanitarian lens.

Rory's Dad

Yep very enjoyable show, looking forward to next week

Don't ya just love speed bumps !!!!!!!!!

The specials are always the best. Top Gear back to it's finest. I was impressed by the off tossing ability of the cars too.

Read a report from some African local who assisted in the filming of the special.  He said all three of them were exceptionally nice guys, very polite, friendly, humorous, mixed with everyone involved in a big way, and all three had a great fondness for very expensive vodka. :t-up:

Great show, but Jeez what a shocking state the countries visited are in. All the time China is raping them for minerals and are happy to pay bribes to anyone who needs one to get there way. The roads built are just to move the stuff around they mine.

I hope that by us seeing the real Africa it will become better for the population in the long term as the DAvid Attenbrough version is false.

That traffic jam beats the North Circular any day.

The David Attenborough version is the wildlife of Africa, not the people.

We must be very careful of judging everybody in the world by our standards. The scenes I saw last night had happy smiling kids with no one starving or sick. They probably wouldn't know what to do in our towns and villages.

I had two friends who went on a trip to India. Came back with stories about poverty and depredation. However when questioned it turned out the kids were well fed, clean and well dressed. Everyone was living in a dwelling even though most were tin shacks. They kept on about "they all live in tin shacks by the side of the road" until I pointed out that they all had satellite dishes on the tin shacks and large TVs inside.

Saw that in the Dominican

Tin shacks and new pickup trucks outside???

The worse place I have seen for proper poverty was Djibouti, well apart from the Five Star hotel I was in. Leave the compound to go back to the dock and the place was just desolute of anything and people living in squaller wherever you looked.

been to Africa, India and South America. Yes they live in shacks, but its there way of live and as norm has already stated most are actually living a good life style (for their country). We are just lucky to live in our society

You may well be right that that is the norm, but should it be for anyone when the country is being raped by China? It is hard for them to compare with the UK in any way. remember it was just a few years ago in Rwanda that there was goenicide being commited and in certain parts fo Africa they are still burning witches and killing children for rituals.

And if everyone is so happy why are we pumping aid into Africa hand over fist? I think the show is great but Africa always has been and always will be as far as I can tell struck by poverty and corruption

I thought this little expedition is much the same as the others, nothing really original.