Bonnet Rubbing - Is It Normal?

Doug Dastardly

I got some 3mm foam in and the  bonnet still shuts with a bit of a squeeze. Hopefully it won't put any stress on it.

Gave it a polish up while it was on stands too. :cool:  It's so much easier when it's up in the air, not nearly so backbreaking.

:t-up:

I hope I'm stating the obvious...

Have you got the two rubber locating rings around the holes in the nose cone? I lost one once and it made a massive difference.

Or you could get some old school leather straps...

c8d75e7523db645f30aa56e106f0f18e_zps5048

Hahaha

It's a FW bonnet. Like a VW bonnet but different :laugh:

I hope I'm stating the obvious...

Have you got the two rubber locating rings around the holes in the nose cone? I lost one once and it made a massive difference.

Or you could get some old school leather straps...c8d75e7523db645f30aa56e106f0f18e_zps5048

Hahaha

It's a one piece nose and bonnet with the FW bodywork :)

Doug, even though everything is located on lugs there is still normally a degree of movement between parts which may be all you need to improve things.

Oh, sorry, missed FW bit!

Yes reverse crocodile style... Like an E-Type. Mum's mate noticed bonnet moving on her mates E-Type, he panicked, slammed brakes on and destroyed front of his 3 week old (to him) E-Type!

Leather straps still an idea though, might look good!

You first then :laugh:

He won't be the first by any means :d seen it done many many years ago :d

Usually foam all along the edge works - with some extra layers where its needed first ensuring one continuous strip over the top :) both on front edges and rear - puts a little bit of tension into bonnet clips and seals it :)

I put foam up in the recess for mounting lug on side of car. Directly behind the clips, keeps them very tight. I also put foam on bonnet, not car. So then foam be out of sight.