help please think ive been credit card scammed !

JeffC

Definitely not wrong there Steve  :d  :d :d  :d  :d  :d  :d  :d  :d  :d  :d

Bob  

i am  Swiss Jeff.....

fixed that for you Nessy  ;)  :oops:

Had the mobile phone scam 2 years ago- started getting bills for several phones from phone company for monthly charges plus odd calls.  Explained that I had not ordered these phones and that I was with another company.  Next month the monthly bills moved to several thousand pounds for calls to Africa, India etc.  Phone company said it's your responsibility, phones are in your name, I didn't pay so credit rating went to zero.  Had to report it to police to get a crime number before phone company would accept it was not me.  I had to pay to get credit rating fixed (also enrolled with CIFAS, well worth it).  Had to change all credit cards and bank account number.  Phone company insisted that it was not their fault but wrote to me later to say they had tightened their procedures.

The police explained how the scam works but for obvious reasons I will not repeat here. 

Had the mobile phone scam 2 years ago- started getting bills for several phones from phone company for monthly charges plus odd calls.  Explained that I had not ordered these phones and that I was with another company.  Next month the monthly bills moved to several thousand pounds for calls to Africa, India etc.  Phone company said it's your responsibility, phones are in your name, I didn't pay so credit rating went to zero.  Had to report it to police to get a crime number before phone company would accept it was not me.  I had to pay to get credit rating fixed (also enrolled with CIFAS, well worth it).  Had to change all credit cards and bank account number.  Phone company insisted that it was not their fault but wrote to me later to say they had tightened their procedures.

The police explained how the scam works but for obvious reasons I will not repeat here. 

whats the name of the scam? ill google it as im always interested about these. without knowing how this scam works how can we all look out for it or take steps to avoid it.

i think i may be fortunate, the worse scam ive been done by is road tax and the odd thing go missing in the post but nothing serious where money came out of my account. touch wood! but then i never put my birthday online. it seems  abit crap that all it takes is to fill out a form and then thats it your in the ****. im sure its not hard to aquire a birthday/the info needed and stuff like mums maiden names/pet names etc are irrelevent if your the scammer setting up the fraud as you can use anything you like

Scam involves, taking out contract in your name and using another valid card for deposit either in a shop or by internet. If in a shop they walk out with the phone.  In my case the phones were intercepted before delivery to my address.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/aug/03/mobile-phone-fraudsters-multiple-contracts 

Sounds like Three - they took ages to accept it when it happened to my Dad.

I wonder whether the member date of birth is a great idea, key piece of information being given out to anyone on thr net!

If people are determined they will get your details regardless of a forum database.  how many people on here have names similiar to their real ones.

i have been done numerous times now, and everything i get is burnt and destroyed.  When i did my survival training, i was shown how easy it is to get peoples life stories from just a scrap of paper

You must atop visiting those dodgy website then :).

No dodgy websites, well not anymore any way !! Not after i found how easy it was.

The amount of stuff on the internet about you that you are completely unaware of is unbelievable, guarantee there is a photo of just about everybody on the web with full name

goodness me vodaphone bill through this morning saying they have suspended my account, spoke with Indian helpine who tells me I must find my local store and report it there as the phone was taken out in store not online !

fuming  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: